Friday, April 27, 2007

Single adoptions

I am sure most of you have seen this photo of Meg Ryan and her precious daughter Daisy, age 2.

I like it. I like the way she is holding Daisy and everything else required for a toddler. I look like that sometimes. I mean not like Meg but with toddler in my arms and bags and bags in hands, over shoulders etc. Sometimes I get offers of help esp. for doorways but not always, and that is okay too.

I took on roll of motherhood alone with a fine network but still alone. It is hard and rewarding. It is edifying and defining. It is moving and it moves me.

I like what Meg has to say about her adoption because it applies to most adoptions esp. mine: “I am convinced, completely convinced that there was nothing random about the adoption,” Meg, 45, tells Redbook in its May issue. “She is the daughter I should have.”

Oh and I haven't many pics of me and the girl because I am also the family photographer/document person or familial tormentor, whatever. So when I grow old and have Alzheimer's like my grandmother, I will still know I visited places because I was the one taking the pics. I will know I was in the family because I took the family pics. I was there DAMNIT.

No comments: