Friday, June 01, 2007

Back with a vengence and a meme

There is already a Friday recipes group of bloggers but this is a "post your favorite recipe" either from childhood or from current time. What is your comfort food? If you needed something to help you calm down or just reminisce what foods would help you do this?

My maternal grandmother used this recipe she found in a newspaper. I only like this spaghetti. I never knew there was any other kind of spaghetti so church spaghetti dinners only confused me. She added cornbread or cheese toast with the meal. I enjoy it now with Jiffy cornbread. This is my comfort meal. This transports me back in time to a less confusing age.

Hawaiian Spaghetti

1 T. olive oil or cooking oil
1 lb. ground beef-preferably ground chuck less grease that way
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. pepper
2 cloves garlic or one medium onion finely chopped or both
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of tomato paste or sauce (I use sauce with garlic, oregano and basil in it)
2 tomato sauce/paste cans of water

heat oil in sauce pan, add beef and all dry ingredients. cook over low heat stirring meat until brown then add wet ingredients and mix well. Simmer gently about 45 mins.

cook 8 oz. box of spaghetti, drain and add to sauce.

Now my mom browns the meat and onions together first. I follow the recipe. Hers is usually more like my grandmother made it. I sometimes make enough sauce to freeze and then get what I need for just one or two servings. It usually makes enough sauce for 4 to 6 servings. Try it sometime and let me know how you like it.

Now I tag:
1) Senja
2) Rony
3) Kris
4) Amy
5) Chinazhoumom

We will see how easy it is to start a meme.

Beverly

3 comments:

theghelertertwins.blogspot.com said...

Ohhhhh this sounds delicious! I love food memes!!! I'll get cracking.....My problem is coming up with a fav.

Rony

crazylady said...

Would you like fries with that Ma,am?

redmaryjanes said...

That sounds really good. I have never seen a food meme before.