Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sensory Integration Disorder

This is an interesting article about sensory disorder.

It helps explain some of the unexplainable in childhood disorders. I think it also explains the high number of children diagnosed with ADHD now. When given the correct diagnosis children can learn to adjust and deal in the every day environment. Parents of adopted children especially those children who were in orphanages without a lot of stimulation will be relieved to know that the child who seems to be oblivious to her surroundings walking into walls etc are clearly needing stimulation. The same for parents whose child shuts down or goes to sleep at the first firecracker noise, like mine, have sensory issues.

I am keeping an open mind with G. I do not believe she has sensory integration disorder but I do believe she is more sensitive to certain things and textures. I am/was to as a child. I hate to this day the feel of wool on my skin. Some sweaters I cannot wear. Some foods I will not eat due to texture. It can be debilitating for some people and more people need to recognize this as a serious issue that can also be clouded by other things like autism or ADHD.

2 comments:

crazylady said...

Jazlyne had (has?) oral sensory perception disorder, which required occupational therapy, which I made a point to write about. I estimate more parents require some type of post adoption service, vs the number who don't. Of course, denial lasts a long time.
Glenys is not alone in this respect.

theghelertertwins.blogspot.com said...

Who does like wool, and touching your skin?! Eeewww. So darn scratchy. I don't blame you or her...

I think crazylady is right on the nose regarding the sensory perception. My dh would argue with her as he doesn't think there is a thing wrong. EVER. DENIAL.. So typical...Rony