Friday, June 29, 2007

So far the strangest comment...

So yesterday at work I was doing some training with some new therapists at "first thing". One of the therapists is older and this is a second (or third) career. These therapists were at my desk completing some of the requirements for computer training and noticed the pics of my girlie. The older one said, "She looks just like you."

Huhn? I said, "Really? Well she shouldn't; she's Chinese. We are no blood relation." Okay, whatever. That bothered me for the area of work this woman is beginning. She is Caucasian and will be working with clients who are not.

She kept trying to find commonalities too which really drove me nuts. I mean I don't want G to look like me. I want her to look like her.

It hit me that she truly thought she was complementing G and me and she had to have something to say. Just say she is cute. Just say how darling. Just say how lucky I am for having her in my life. But don't tell me she looks like me. I know we will reflect facial expressions from each other as she will pick those up from me but she still doesn't look like me and never will, Thank Goodness, for she will be sooo much more beautiful.

3 comments:

kris said...

Huh. That is crazy. I guess she meant well, but, like, wha?

Rhonda said...

Umm, ok? That's just plain nutty...

theghelertertwins.blogspot.com said...

Ha ha. My friend who also has an adopted Chinese daughter was told this last year by some old man at the swimming pool. She was like "What the "??? People are amazing.....