Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11



Wow, 6 years. I had gone to the chiropractor that morning and heard the commotion on the radio. The news kept saying a twin engine plane accidentally crashed into one of the twin towers. By the time I reached the dentist, I heard that the other one crashed and then watched as the first building fell.


The emotions were extremely confusing. I had to get to work and sat stunned mostly all day. The self important owner of the company for which I worked at the time raised the bar on what was expected of the employees thinking he truly made a difference in this world. The security officers in NY at the time did make a difference and were heroic in their own right but the owner truly attempted to make this all about him. It would have been comical to see his reaction had the total situation not been so devastating.


The world outside on my drive to work looked different. It was a sunny day, and I had celebrated my 31st bday the Sat. before with alcohol and a desire. (minds out of the gutters please.) But the atmosphere felt heavy and the sunshine seemed brighter more dangerous. My neighbors were stuck in San Francisco so I had to continue to watch their dogs. I was worried about them and about me. I was alone, not dating anyone at the time and that night I felt much more lonely. I didn't have anyone to connect to and for some reason at that moment it mattered.


Both my sister and I called my mom fairly hysterical. She had to remind us that although we were taken by surprise, God was not surprised and He had a plan that would unfold in His time. I was extremely afraid to go to my parents for fear the bridges would be taken out and I wouldn't be able to get back home.


That day brought life into perspective. Sadly, over time we tend to forget and go about our business without perspective. We should never forget.


A year later, I was in London on 9/11 in a museum when the moment of silence began. The new years after 9/11 I was in Amsterdam with a friend from work. Those folks are crazy setting off reams of firecrackers in the streets. I will tell you after going through 9/11, the fireworks sure were frightening. The November after 9/11 I was on a cruise with a friend and we received so much support from folks from other countries related to our being Americans. It was def. strange.




In memory of those who lost their lives, those who gave their lives to prevent a bigger tragedy in Pennsylvania, in appreciation for the first responders who still suffer, and in support of those families left behind to make sense of this new world, let us never forget!

3 comments:

C said...

Thanks for this. I'm amazed at what an almost "nonevent" this 9/11 is.
My family lives in NJ- a suburb that was devastated by 9/11. I'm in Ohio now, but at the time I went home for a week.

c

Sharon Flath said...

Wow, Beverly. Thank you. That was the only tribute I got today, so far and was really touched by your words.

jeneflower said...

It has been 6 years and I still cry every Sept. 11 and 12 when I watch news footage about 9/11. It will never cease to haunt me.