Monday, October 22, 2007

Idiots in the media

This makes me very mad for all families who have chosen adoption. I responded to this article and suggest you do so too. Here is my response:

"Foreign orphans better than ours

Are you for real? How many US children have you adopted or for that matter fostered? Do you realize the foster care system has a primary goal of reunification with bio families which makes adoption very next to impossible or in the very least extremely iffy? Do you know that the foster care system will spend more time trying to fix the bio families in order to place a child back with that family even when the bio family doesn’t wish to change? Do you realize that US adoption is completely handled differently in every state or by each individual agency?

Have you ever considered that your erroneous presumption in this statement “I mean, if it's wrong for people to cross our borders to take our jobs, shouldn't it be wrong for our people to cross our borders to buy someone else's children?” harms all children in adoption or foster care systems and demeans the adoptive families that you criticize? Children are not for sale, not here, not in foreign countries. Processes cost money, agencies charge money, lawyers charge money, the US government charges money all as a part of the process to adopt, and it is all for paperwork, not to buy someone else’s child.

Maybe you should adopt several children of your own. Maybe you should not be so quick to judge other families’ decisions to go out of the country to adopt. Maybe you should work harder to place foster kids and see what the system has created that prevents families from adopting. Your words are hateful, racist and totally and blatantly ignorant. Maybe next time before writing such bothersome articles you will interview families who have adopted domestically, internationally or from foster care to get a grasp of the reasons families choose to adopt in the first place.

Sincerely,

Beverly Moore
An international adoptive single parent"

14 comments:

kris said...

you go girl...!

Chinazhoumom said...

I second that - makes me sick!

Elisa, Jarrod, Thomas & Zoe said...

I just read this on another blog.
That guy makes me sick.

Wendy said...

Just sent him my own email! What an absolute moron!!!!

Dawn said...

Your letter back to that guy was great. I'd like to know if he responds back to you. It just goes to show you there is no shortage of idiots in this world. Very sad.

mommy24treasures said...

it makes me sad that there are such uncariing clueless people. He is just full of bigotry and racism.
sad sad...

Super Mommy said...

Very well said - I also sent him an email - mine wasn't quite as eloquent, but I think he got the point. What a jerk!

Sharon Flath said...

All Right Beverly! I wish I had the ability to let some poop head have it! I'm calling on you next time I need a verbal hero!

Kerry said...

As soon as I take a deep breathe and shake the disbelief out of my head I am going to send him an email. I. Am. Stunned.

Kerry said...

Your letter was fantastic- and now I'm calm lol. I've forwarded you a copy of the letter I sent fyi. Thanks for the post- and again, great response.

Salome's Mom said...

Very well said, I was fuming when I saw this stupid, ill informed, article.

Lauri said...

Asshat

Tasha said...

Right on!

Amy said...

Preach it!