Saturday, November 10, 2007

Good Zoo Day

Today was a great day at the zoo. The weather was great. We got there right about feeding time. We even stayed long enough to hear some of the zoo chat about the hippos. Apparently our hippos are mother and daughter. The oldest is 46 which is much older than hippos actually live. They are the most dangerous animals killing 2 to 3 hundred people every year more than any other animal in Africa. They are second heaviest behind the elephant. They secrete something that looks like blood but the zoo keeper said it wasn't blood. Fascinating.

The red panda came down from the tree. As many times as I have been to the zoo I have never seen the red panda this close. Usually if I see him at all he is way up in the tree. Then there is another animal a muntjac??? that is in the same pen that I saw for the first time today.




Found out that one of our gorillas died (I knew that) but the other was shipped to Kansas City zoo and we were supposed to get two more in late summer or early fall. Apparently they are late because we still don't have them.



Just after our friend Shay left us, we headed for the farm section where G had a loud, obnoxious melt down.

 
I am so sure people thought I was kidnapping her. Finally she straightened up but then I had to carry her the rest of the time. I am exhausted but she is the one taking a nap. Oh well. She wasn't the only child melting down. Every time I saw one I would point him/her out and G would ask why that kid was having a melt down. I never knew.




G is actually smiling here with her sippy cup but the sunshine was in her eyes and she wouldn't wear her very cool sunglasses.

We ate lunch at our fav. Pei Wei and then she fell asleep in the car on the way home. I was even able to move her to the bed and she stayed asleep. I need her to sleep at least 2 hours. That way I can just veg for that long and blog.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Except for the small meltdown, it seems like y'all had a wonderful day at the zoo. Glenys seems so tall in those photos! Growing like a bad weed, I bet.

laurel said...

I think meltdowns must be in the air. Almost everyone has a child having them right now. She sure is cute!

chloesmama said...

Looks like you had a great time at the zoo! We had a meltdown today, too...went shopping and were out past naptime, and didn't do a late nap. It was not good. I love the way you type how she talks...too cute!!!

mommy24treasures said...

sounds fun! Isnt that wild about the hippo? if I had not read that sign at our zoo that says ferocious I never would think a hippo was so mean.

Christine said...

Poor thing. My kids hate the sun!

Salome's Mom said...

Oh sweetie pie! She looks adorable, melt down and all.