Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I had an interview today

that may or may not have gone well. It was for a payroll position for which I have no experience and for a benefits/HR person for which I have tons of experience. I let them know that learning it would be no problem and that I was aware they may want someone with more payroll experience. I think my salary range is outside of what they can pay. I could be wrong. It is about 45 mins away from home and with a different schedule, more like 8 to 5. With the sleep stuff we are going through it would be very difficult to make it. Plus because of my sinus infection, I had to list all the meds I have been taking and when. Hydrocodone cough meds probably don't look good but paired with a z pak and mucinex maybe I will be okay?!?

I would hate to leave First Thing's flexibility and closeness but I need more money. $30,000 does not cut it right now. I am not meeting my financial obligations at all. Sorry I know finances and pay are out of political correctness or should not be discussed in public, actually is quite vulgar, but damn, unless you know the real story, you can't see the reality of my life's furstration.

The real story is my salary for a single mom (yes I know by my choice) does not pay the bills period. The last time I made that salary was in 1997. Before that it was $10,000 less but I was in significant debt too. I didn't buy my house until I was making $45,000. I had one year recently (2006) of less than $25,000(and most of that was 401(k)) and living on credit. So now, I am trying to catch up. Since the house didn't sell I still have that monthly, and although I have renter's there currently, they may not stay another year. My parents have not started charging me rent, but I have to pay them back something and then rent on top of that soon.

It would be nice if I was offered, and First Thing would counter offer, but I don't see that happening. I think the owner is over extended in other areas so financially the whole corporation is suffering. Plus a monkey could do what I do now, sadly not any of the other monkeys here though, they are too old.

I just don't know. I just don't know. I didn't interview well. I am not excited enough. I would love to learn the payroll side because it would round me out a bit but I can't get excited about the drive, new hours and new expectations with a child who refuses to sleep.

8 comments:

Tasha said...

I totally feel your pain! We have a lot in common.

Super Mommy said...

Good luck - if this isn't the job -maybe the next one will be. This is a weird time of the year - most companies don't like hiring in December. Look at your interview as a practice for your next interview!

Sharon said...

Something even better will come along. What would you do for a living if you could do anything you wanted. Talent, responsiblity, money aside??

Eliza2006 said...

Hopefully something comes about soon. You are right, 30K just doesn't cut it these days. You're worth more! Oh, and...nothing like struggling w/kid issues and having your family doubt you! Been there!

Tiffany

Lauri said...

Hugs

The Byrd Family said...

Nothing like trying to look and feel great for an interview and you have had no sleep! How do our little ones manage all day on no sleep and still have energy???

Susan said...

Good luck! I hope it works out for you soon.

Dawn said...

Good luck on your job situation whatever happens. It sucks to have to work, doesn't it. I just hope you find something you like and that pays you enough.