Tuesday, January 29, 2008

All Good Things...

must come to an end. Well, last night ended in tears and a frowny face. We both were the cause of it. G was wired when I picked her up last night. She talked non-stop all the way up to the tears. I was begging her for silence. This is my part, I was grumpy yesterday and got busy in an organization project. I didn't want to have long conversations on who is bigger, older, younger or anything. I just wanted to organize my papers. G didn't get near the attention she deserved or needed and last night I couldn't give it.

So needless to say bedtime was a harried affair. I didn't get mad but she did have a melt down. I am tired because getting her calm still takes time. So we were awake longer than I wanted to be. This morning before we left I asked if she wanted to pay me tonight or right then. She chose right then, without tears she got her purse and pulled a dollar out. Then she watched what I did with it. I told her I would hold it until she earned it back. I am not sure how I am going to give it back because I need to break it down into change. She won't understand that.

She is half way to a smiley face today though. I was so expecting a melt down, being good for so long is very tough on a 3 year old. I told her I still loved her even on a frowny face day. I didn't make her watch me draw the face because I didn't want more tears. But I also will say, once she lost the smiley face, there was no leverage to get her to behave. So I am glad she didn't lose it this a.m. or tonight would be hell.

9 comments:

Lauri said...

We all have off days... hoping today is better

Kerri said...

Poor mama and Glenys. Glad the morning went well. Hope she's back on track tonight.
Kerri and Ruby

Vivian M said...

I hope tonight works out better, hang in there! And thank you for your kind comments on our blog.

Salome's Mom said...

I am really feeling for you. My daughter is 3 and does not stop talking. As a matter of fact she gets louder the more I tell her to stop. My best friend, a single Mom, also has a 3 year old that after a long day of work, needs her undivided attention and also does not shut up. It is not easy on anyone and the guilt when we discipline is heavy on our hearts.

Livin' out loud said...

Ut oh...Mikala can do this too with the "Why??" sometimes I turn and say her name over and over and when she says "what?" I will say "Why??" this usually helps!!
Susan

The Byrd Family said...

Oh Bev...at least you admit part of it was Mom too! This is the exact moment that Lottie and I talk about forgiveness when both of us are wrong. She says, "I forgives you Mommy".

Poor little Glenys, Lottie get so worked up with tears too. Just breaks a Mom's heart.

Steffie B. said...

Hope today is better...I was a crab yesterday too and there were a lot of tears here between my two tTings! ~sigh~

The Straight's said...

Sounds like you are a lot better of sticking to your discipline methods than I am. I am a sucker for those tears! Keep up the good work.

nikki said...

Sorry you had a bad night, but you've had LOTS of smiley faces...and, you'll have more!