Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Probably Will Jinx Myself

But G was so good and got her smiley face. She was so proud of herself she wanted me to tell her teacher this morning about it. Of course her teacher had no idea but another mom was in there who at least understood that this was a big deal to G so she got kudos all around.

She maybe didn't go right to sleep last night, but she didn't do the wiggling and squirreling around that she normally does. We are shooting for a lights off time at 8:30pm that give her 30mins to be wiggly if she needs without comment from me, but by 9pm I start to have fits, normally. Last night, though, she didn't disturb me around 9pm or after. She even got up good this morning. By good I mean in a good mood without tears or griping.

It was a nice night. Of course this gives me hope that we can turn our sleeping or lack of around. We start preparing for bed around 7:30pm which includes everything from brushing teeth to changing clothes to feeding dogs/cats, everything. By 8:15 or so we are in bed to read books, play stickers or whatever. Then around 8:30pm we turn the lights out. Now I could fall right to sleep at this point, but G can't, so I have the drop dead be asleep by 9pm lingering in the back of my head. She has 30mins of dark to unwind plus close to an hour of preparing to go to bed. What I am trying to stop is the staying awake after 9pm when I get so mad. Oh and trying to control my own self. Now with the smiley face I can truly relax. She understands it totally. She likes the smiley faces totally.

We shower in the morning so that gets us awake. She is always ready to go before me which gives her time in the morning to watch TV while I finish getting dressed and all. She won't stay in bed longer than me. Actually she gets really pissed if I get up in the morning without her. By the way, this has been our routine for a while now. The only thing I have now added is the smiley face chart. And I am and have been able to get to work by 8:30 every morning.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I at least know I am not the only one with sleep issues. Some of this is just my personal guilt of being a single parent so I am lenient to a fault and explode when I feel that she is taking advantage of my leniency. Which is pathetic I know because she is 3.5 and that is what she is supposed to do. I am the adult however and shouldn't be attaching my feelings to her actions.

So, now I have a computer at my desk at my new office and I will be back to adding pics etc this week. I will be busy still but will have time to check blogs. Yee Haw.

8 comments:

laurel said...

Congratulations!! Success is sweet.

Denise Sullivan said...

Great job sticking with it! Our 15-month old can get me worked up and angry too and I have to remind myself of the same things. Takes them awhile to get used to change. Then right when you get comfy, they have to test it to see if you're going to stick with it. Good times. It's nice to see positive behavior from them and makes your efforts worth it.

The Byrd Family said...

Woo Hoo! Keep up the good work you two! Won't take you off my prayer list just yet though....

Susan said...

Congratulations to Glenys! And congratulations to you -- maybe this will be what you need. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

You never know what will make a difference. I don't know if you remember me telling you a few months back about how Ting Ting was having sleep issues all of a sudden, screaming and crying and refusing to sleep . . . all of a sudden she started going to bed with NO complaint, every night. The only thing I can think of that I did differently was I put a new pillow in the crib. Could that be it? Who knows?

nikki said...

Glad you had a good night...and that Glenys got her smiley face.
You may still have a non-smiley face nite on occasion, but don't beat yourself up over it. We are all just doin' the best we can!
XO

Ashley Winters said...

My five year-old doesn't like to go to bed at night either. We usually start quiet time with a video or book one hour before bedtime. This helps her relax her mind and body in preparation of sleep. Without it, she keeps going and going! Highly energetic!

Sharon said...

That is so great!! I am really happy for you. You are a super mom simply because you are always trying. Thats all any of us can do. We learn and grow with our kids. And Beverly, thank you so much for your prayers!! Have a really GOOD day!!

Kerri said...

Go, Glenys, go!
Kerri and Ruby