Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Double the Adventures, Double the fun


Did you see this? When I left work yesterday the tornado sirens were going. I didn't have any problems but by the time I had gotten to my mom's, where dad had taken G, a tornado had hit the mall not 1/2 mile from work.

So it probably hit it while I was in process of leaving. So I call my mom to find out news since the radio emergency said we were all about to be blown away, just not in those direct terms. Mom sounded quite put out with me and told me to just come home.

When I get there, mom says, "I didn't know you were so afraid." 

I looked astonished and said, "I wasn't but I had no information from anywhere and what I did have said we were gonners." Needless to say, no harm no foul there.

Later, however, after G and I take our shower and as she is in bed waiting for me the power goes out. Now I was taking my reading 5 minutes, which I like to do so I won't be disturbed, when the house fell dark. If you understand that, then you will know where I was at that moment. If you don't then I shall not elaborate.

I finished my business and in the dark go to the kitchen where my new fashlight and batteries were. I unplugged the computer and got G's flashlight. Then I heard them, the sirens started. I calmly told G to get her flashlight, blanket and books and follow me. I grabbed a blanket from her bed, my pillow and her big carebear pillow, and my cell. We camped in the bathroom floor to read our books. I called my parents thinking my dad was watching TV, not as their power was out too. I needed to know how soon we were going to be blown away, though.

Well, thankfully we weren't blown away. Dad called back just as I was moving us out of the bathroom, when the sirens ended. The dog was spastic and only got calm when we were all on the bed. The bathroom is a tight fit for me, G, and Clementine. Each cat just came to the door to look at us as if to say, we will take our chances out here, in the hall.
G and I were talking about why we read our books in the bathroom after our adventure was over. I told her that the sirens were a warning that a tornado was coming. 
She said, "Well, are they ugly?" 
I said, "Yes" 
She said, "All of dem?" 
I said, "yes." 
She said, "Well not on beggie tales."


UH uh uh... I said, "No G not a "t-o-m-a-t-o" or a "p-o-t-a-t-o" but a "t-o-r-n-a-d-o". Poor baby thought we were being attacked by a giant vegetable!! Well I guess if that were the case we wouldn't have had any damage or at least not much, huhn?

16 comments:

The Byrd Family said...

I am LOL at Glenys! What an adorable comment! Glad you guys are safe!

Rhonda said...

Glad you're all ok!

Cute how she thought you were all being attacked by vegetables though. ;)

The Princess's Mommy said...

I am so glad you both are OK. It got pretty rough here, too! The sirens went off around 4 am and about scared me half to death!!

Monica

Melissa said...

Thank goodness you were safe. I just heard about these storms tonight.

Vivian M said...

I am so glad you are both ok! And how cute is Glenys....I hope you both never have to face a tomato attack never, ever again!

Lea said...

Hey,
I was worried about you. I figured you worked in that area. I am very glad you're ok. We spent time in the utility room and closet. We couldn't all fit in one room. lol.
I would have emailed you sooner but I lost your direct email address due to my computer crashing, I lost all my emails.
Lea Ann

mommy24treasures said...

I am glad you are ok! That is the funniest comment!

Heidi said...

I thought about you from FL - Thank God you are okay and we are praying for those who lost loved ones, and less importantly but still painful, property. Thanks for ending on the funny veggie story! LOL!

Lauri said...

Stay safe

Denise Sullivan said...

Were you watching "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" again?!!? That was too funny. Glad you guys are safe. I was wondering about my blogger friends in the mid-west and south. We've seen all the devastation on the news out here in AZ.

krj said...

Yeah, cleaning up after being hit by a tomato would be a whole different ball game!

Glad you guys are okay :O)

Susan said...

Thank goodness the ugly potato left you alone. Glad you're OK.

Rony said...

Damn. Was that near you? I've never seen a tornado. Ever!

Donna said...

Glenys is too funny. I'm glad you're OK.

Super Mommy said...

Oh I was thinking of you and Glenys - I am glad you all are okay!

Livin' out loud said...

WOW WOW WOW! Life is sure an adventure!! So glad you guys are ok! Praying for calmer weather for the rest of the year!!!
Susan