Thursday, February 21, 2008

Explaining the Wordless Wed

First of all, thanks for all of the (lies) I mean positive comments on the quality of the pictures. In actuality they were crap taken by my video camera in bad lighting. So althought seeing them in real life is much better than the pic the pic reminds us of the beauty of the real. the detail is so incredible on all of the bone and ivory pieces it almost makes one weep, literally.

I get emotionally choked up with that level of detail in sculptures/artwork. Of course I always reflect back on the Creator who made man to be that creative and then I get sad to know that man has taken the gift to worship other gods in their creations, but that is another post for another day.

So one might think that I took these all while I was in China? Well one would be wrong. This collection of Asian artifacts are located in the Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic history. See this man has more money than sense and collected all of this stuff. Thankfully he did set up a museum that is actually cheap to see (free for us on Sat.). It is truly amazing what he collected and again the detail of the stuff.

There is a life size Monkey King in pose there that G refused to stand by, heh heh. She didn't really stand next to any of the statues though. She would stand near them but not next to them.

If you happen to be in my area, tell me and I will give you the info to get to this place so you too can see the amazing things there. It is actually larger than I thought so I am glad we explored more this year.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

The detail in the artwork renders me wordless!!

How did they do such small and intricate sculpting on ivory (that stuff is bone hard) back in the days before power tools?

wordless.

Lea said...

I had no idea we had such a museum nearby. I really thought it was from China!

Vivian M said...

It is very beautiful. And probably old too. Amazing creativity!
Maybe someday we can see it in person, in the meantime, thank you for sharing them with us!