Monday, February 18, 2008

My baby is growing up ::SOB::

G is really growing up too fast for my taste. Her Grammie and Grandad bought her some really cute size 4t clothes over the weekend. G got to see them last night. She wanted to try ever last outfit on and was so proud that she literally HAD to wear one of the dresses to school today to show off.

To me this is big because G, although she had opinions, never or hadn't really been interested in the trying on of an outfit until recently. And a dress?? This summer it was t shirts and crocs. Now she is all about her tennis shoes and matching outfits. And this dress? Well it is cute on her. But I just never dreamed we would get to this point so soon.

The other thing telling me she is growing up is disappointment, as in her own disappointment. Friday night she had a dream about Santa Clause visiting her and bringing her a rope to play with. She absolutely couldn't wait until the alarm went off Saturday morning to tell me about it. Then she couldn't wait to take me to her room to see it. You see, I couldn't convince her that it was a dream that just felt real. I have had them, everyone has them sometimes. I also didn't realize that was the reason we had to go to her room as soon as we got up either until I opened the door and looked at her little face. It was a mixture of embarrassment and misunderstanding and well, disappointment. I haven't ever seen it on her before.

Oh sure I have seen and heard the cries for not getting her own way but this was something totally different. I really felt badly for her. I felt like a failure of a mom who couldn't protect her. Oh and it passed in her but still, ya know?

21 comments:

youcantstoptheblog said...

Poor baby! Have her give me a call: I had a dream Saturday night AND Sunday night about my exboyfriend. Nothin' like wakin' up alone after that!! I can only imagine how she was feeling thinking that Santa had come and not known that it wasn't real. How strange for a little kid.

Yoli said...

You are so sweet Beverly. I know how you feel. When I was little I had dream about a lovely dunkey. I was so destroyed when it was not in my room. Your story of Glenys having one of those real dreams brought it back. I think it hurt you more than her.

Now, Sally has always loved her dress up stage. I am waiting for her to turn into a tomboy but it has not happened yet.

Ashley Winters said...

Dreams can seem very real, especially to little kids. My older daughter had a nightmare awhile ago about vicious dogs surrounding her. Thankfully, she hasn't had that same dream again.

Chinazhoumom said...

Yippie lets play dress up - time for mommy to go shopping for princess stuff!!!

Sorry to hear about the dream - this too shall pass...

Kerri said...

Poor girl. Life lessons stink sometimes.
Kerri and Ruby

Susan said...

I guess we all have our disappointments as we get older, but I know what you mean about wishing she never had to face them. I never understood the concept of "kids growing up too fast" until the last few months. I can't believe my little baby is nearly potty trained and wearing big girl clothes and in the 2-year-olds' Sunday School class instead of the nursery and refusing to sit in the booster seat at the table.

Sanders' Double Happiness said...

Watching them grow up is such a pleasure, but it also breaks your heart! You remind me to enjoy every minute and every stage.

:)
Stacey

The Byrd Family said...

Sometimes dreams do seem so real....Lottie has never told me about a dream before BUT Lottie does love getting new clothes!

We have a friend who gives us hand-me-downs and when she brings the trash bag full of clothes, Lottie dumps them out in the floor and tries on everything in the sack! I asked my husband the other night, do you think it's possible for her to be humble AND materialistic? LOL

Lauri said...

They grow up too fast... I was surpised that Livi is already chosing to be friends with only certain people in her class.


That seems like such a mature girly grade school thing to do " No Mama.. I am not friends with Cami... she is Alex's friend."

Franceskasjourneyhome said...

Beverly I know exactly how you feel, one day you will wake up and your babygirl will be 15 so don't blink ok and enjoy every single minutes, even the hard ones because they grow up so so fast!!!

I swear with Franceska I am going to take a day at a time and minute by minute because I don't want to miss a thing!!!

Love, Kristy

Franceskasjourneyhome said...

Another thing Beverly, you are probably younge than I am, I am 40 but we love all of the same movies, I love old movies, just like the ones on your profile!!!

Kristy

Vivian M said...

Beverly, I can totally relate. My little girl is Miss Independant, Miss Smarty Pants, and Miss I Can Do It By Myself!
As much as I love seeing her grow up, I miss the little baby that was placed in my arms (was it that long ago?).
Huge hugs to Glenys and you both from your Canadian Monkey friends!

laurel said...

So sweet. What a draling little girl.

LaLa said...

Yeah, they grow up way too fast!!! Annslee has definite opinions about things...can't wait until they are 14 LOL

Sharon said...

I would love to see a photo of her in that dress!!

Growing pains; mother or childs!!? I have felt them every few months each year. It's terrible.

AZMom said...

She is growing up so fast! I've had dreams that feel so real you wake up completely disoriented.

4T..I remember when Bug wore a 4T. She is now in an 8!

Taylor Grace said...

Taylor is the same way....

They grow up way too fast. I wish they stayed this little forever. I never dreamed how fast it would go by.

Lea said...

Hey Beverly,
Lynlea hit the her dress phase in her late 3's. She would only wear dresses and ballet type slip on shoes. This continued through kindergarten.
Hope you have a great week!
Lea Ann

nikki said...

I am sooo with you...SOB.
It is lovely and fun, but tragic all at the same time. It is happening too fast.

Tasha said...

awww.. so sweet.

And she is growing up so fast! Cherish the moments.

Livin' out loud said...

I know what you mean about the growing up...the signs always through me off completely, whether it is a comment Mikala makes, or a facial expression...they all stop me in my tracks. Today we are going to a bday party for one of her friends who si turning 4~! I thought OOO, 4 already!!??
Susan