Thursday, June 05, 2008

Retro Friday-Back to the Light Posts


This is a picture of my two grandmothers and me at my nephew's 2nd or 3rd bday. The one on my left is my mom's mom and the one on my right, my dad's.

 I was closest to my mom's mom. Her husband was the one killed in 1969. She never remarried. She developed Alzheimer's, well diagnosed with it sometime around 1991 or 2.

My dad's mom lived to be 91. She died on my birthday a month before her 92nd bday in 2004. Her husband died in 1996. I never felt like a grown up with this grandmother. We called both grandmothers "ma-maw" and both grandads were "pa-paw" (even though only one was alive when I was born).

With my maternal grandmom I could talk about grown up things. She treated me like an adult. Sometimes I felt that my dad's mom treated me like I was still twelve and that bothered me greatly. Actually it drove me ape poop batty!

Of course neither knew G nor about G nor about my plans for G. But had they still been with us and in their right minds they would have adored her and spoiled her too!!

5 comments:

AZMom said...

Great picture. What neat memories.

My mom's mom is still alive and has remarried after Pa Pa died in 1999. The cool thing is that even though he never got to meet Bug, we finalized her adoption on the same day he passed away a year later. As I always said, it turns a bad memory into a good one and I know he was there with us on that day too.

Both of my dad's parents passed away before they even knew of our plans to adopt so I know how you feel on that.

Briana's Mom said...

My grandmother (my mom's mom) has Alzheimer's. It is such a sad disease. My other grandmother (dad's mom) is still alive and doing well. Unfortunately, both my grandpas have passed and will never get to meet Briana. Makes me sad.

Ellie Monster said...

What a great picture. I think that parents have a hard time thinking of us as adults, so I would imagine it very difficult for grandparents to consider us adults.
I lived with my grandmother in her retirement community one summer while I was an intern down here in college. I was 22, but she kept me on a very short leash causing us to argue quite a bit.
It truely bonded us, though. I miss her terribly.

Yoli said...

What sweet picture. I worshipped my grandmothers.

Christy said...

WOW WHAT A CUTE PIC OF YOU AND YOUR GMA!!

HAY I JUST READ YOUR LAST POST ABOUT THE ARTICLE. INTERESTING. I DID NOT REALIZE YOU WERE A PSYCHOLOGIST. SO IS THAT WHAT YOU DO-- PRIVATE PRACTICE? MFT OR LCSW OR WHAT? VERY COOL. IM A SCHOOL PSYCH BUT WAS JUST APPROVED TO TAKE MY LEP (LISENCED eDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST) WHICH ALLOWS ME TO GO INTO PRIVARE PRACTICE. IM TAKING THE EXAM AT THE END OF JUNE/ EARLY JULY AND WHEN I PASS, I CAN START PRIVATE PRACTIVE. I CANT WAIT!!!! I ALREADY HAVE MY BUSINESS NAME AND AM STARTING WORKING ON MY WEBSITE. I ALREADY HAVE A LOGO AND AM HOPING TO BE OUT OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT AND TOTALLY IN PRIVATE PRACTICE WITHIN ONE YEAR. ANYWAY, I SAW THE PSYCH THING AND HAD NEVER KNOWN THAT ABOUT YOU. AND BY THE WAY, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR STANCE ON THE ARTICLE. IT IS AMAZING THE PSCHOSOMATIC ISSUES THAT ARISE WHEN THE BRAIN MAKES UP IT'S MIND OF SOMETHING. AMAZING!!!

CHRISTY :)