Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Near and Dear to My Heart

What a better way to honor my grandmother than to join the Alzheimer's Memory Walk. There is a need for team captains as well as general participation all over the nation.

My maternal grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1991-92. In hindsight she probably was displaying symptoms much earlier but a car accident in 1991 accelerated the symptoms. She stayed by herself a while after that. Maybe 1998-99 she entered the nursing home. By that point she had been hallucinating or having the day terrors and locking herself out of her home. The locking part was really strange because I never really knew my grandmother to lock her door when she was home.

She was a widow who finished raising her last two kids alone. She worked for the same department her husband had. She retired from that job in 1988. She was my favorite grandmother because she treated me like I was growing up. I spoke with her everyday while she lived at home and while she had a phone in the nursing home.

Her demise was extra difficult for me because we were so close. She forgot who I was totally. She got really mad at me once while she was in the hospital and though she never cussed she said some hurtful things to me. Then I would be hurt and mad at myself for being hurt since she really couldn't help it. It really wasn't her anymore. She is at peace now. She passed in 2002 while in the nursing home. She is completely healed and with her Christ right now. I have a hope that she will be greeting me when I die too.

So in honor of my grandmother, I may check into this either for this year or next year to sign up and be a team captain. The walk is typically in the fall and only about 2 to 3 miles so I may not be able to sign up as team captain this year but at least may join a team. This maybe the catalyst to get me up and moving and back in shape even if I just get back to my 2004 shape/weight.

By teaming up with the Alzheimer's Association, we can walk with a purpose – and move us closer to a world without Alzheimer's. Together, we can MOVE a nation.

Sponsored by Alzheimer's Walk

2 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

My grandmother is currently battling Alzheimer's Disease. She still knows who I am, but her short term memory is really bad and her long term memory is starting to fade now too.

I may look into this walk too...

Vivian M said...

I used to volunteer at an Alzheimer's Day Care center. And currently have two relatives living with this cruel disease that robs them of their memory and identity.
Let me know how we can support you!