Monday, July 14, 2008

Third Thing Update--Disappointment

and this will sound a bit ungrateful. So if you don't like it tune me out now. After being with this company 6 months and granted making more than I have in two years, I was due the 6 month review promised me. So if you have kept up the score 2 bosses and 2 friends were fired in a period of 4 months. Payroll was brought in house in a matter of 2 months with not a lot of lead time. And I basically stepped into a manager position without the manager title. I was hired as an exempt salaried employee.

Okay so my boss (very proud of himself by the way) came in while I was on hold with our software company trying to fix a payroll issue and said how impressed they all were with me (as they have told me over and over) then told me I was basically a clerk and that they were going to give me $1000 raise and a $500 net one time bonus.

Huh? Did you really just say all of that to me? And they based all that on the Robert Half salaried guide for 2008. Well F you Robert Half!! If you think I am a clerk, I am about to be a clerk!! That is $38 a pay period. That is not even enough to budget. There was not even another promise of another 6 month review and I haven't been seeing any 1 year raises. So I won't be making even as much as the payable clerk (no CPA) started at and he too has a 6 month review. A $500 bonus for all the sh*t I put up with for bringing payroll in and the stress level of the job?!?!?! I don't think so. I doubt I will even get around to cutting that check!

So I cleared my head and walked into his office and said, "R that is not even $38 a pay check. Are you basing every one's salary off the Robert Half guide or just mine?" (I know that answer and it is no, just mine!) He asked me what I thought was fair and he said he wanted to be fair. So I pointed out my base pay and said, "At least $100 a pay check." They did adjust my pay to cover medical insurance so that is a bit of a boost. I had much higher hopes like a promotion to manager and a significant raise but I guess that was all in my head.

And no I am not ready to go looking for another job. And I made the mistake of mentioning my disappointment to my mom so I am sure I won't hear the end of it. I should have blogged it first then I wouldn't have mentioned it to her. I can't afford to do much more than I am doing currently. I guess if they don't come back with the counter offer then I will stick that $38 on to one credit card to get rid of faster. I can't pay my parents rent yet. I hoped with a promotion and raise I would be able to pay them and the house note on the rental.


I may have to get more serious about the blog money for coffee so that won't come out of my pay check. Plus I just spent over the budgeted amount at the grocery store tonight. I got pretty much every thing on sale like the barbie closeout waffles for $1 a box. I try to only go to the grocery once a month but that limits the fresh stuff like bananas and grapes or veggies I can buy. And I do use shopping as a feel good even the grocery store.

Okay, enough. I sort of regret the counter offer now. I doubt they will give it to me. I mean they took the blogging and access to blogs away already. What the helk do they expect me to work 100% of the time? (just kidding).

8 comments:

Ellie Monster said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Good for you for sticking up for yourself even if you don't get your request. You'd never have know if you didn't ask. I hope things continue to be relatively good.

Sharon said...

You are funny!!
I have got to come back over and catch up with you soon. I like your family sticker. You all are a very precious family!!

PS Are you finding a loop hole in the no blogging at work thing?!?!?!?!

Lauri said...

You deserve that money .... I am proud of you for going to your boss and asking for what you want- that takes some guts.


Hope you get what you want,

stay positive

Vivian M said...

Wow that took guts and I am glad you spoke up for yourself. I just wished you would have told him that you deserve the manager's positiom and pay!
Good luck, hope the boss comes back with a better offer!

fricke92 said...

I'm so sorry about your job woes. It sucks when you aren't getting paid to the job you are expected to do. :(

Briana's Mom said...

Good for you! I had to stick up for myself once regarding pay at my job and it worked out in my favor. I hope it works out for you too!

Super Mommy said...

That sucks Bev... I was hoping for a BIG raise in March and basically got a 3% raise - as did everyone else. . .. it is disappointing.

Tasha said...

urrgghhhhh.
i hate having bosses.