Wednesday, October 15, 2008

G and Mack

Now don't get too excited this isn't a boy she has been betrothed too, not at all. It is however the word she uses instead of math. G can do simple math in the form of word (spoken) problems. Floored me. I received from daycare the pre-kindergarten calendar of what children should know or learn by kindergarten and simple number games were listed. Now G has been able to determine that when she is a certain age then her cousin will be one year younger or if he is an age she will be one year older, ie. "when A is 7 I will be 8" or "when I am 6 A will be 5."

So last night I asked her "If I have three apples and I give you one how many do I have left?" And she answered "2" (and held up 2 fingers). Now right now she can go up or down by one but not by two. I told my mom who said, "You will be very surprised to know what all she really knows." I think I agree. I was totally shocked!!

Anyway another kindergarten readiness test is word recognition. She can recognize her name but names of family members need to be recognized too. Some small words she recognizes. I made cards with all of our names on them. I used "grandaddy" for my dad and "grammie" for my mom. When I tell her to pick the grandaddy card out of the cards she starts sounding out the first letter of his name "L" and I have to say, "no find the card that starts with G not L(name)." It has been a fun time.

I see the tricks though, make them think it is a game but it really is learning!! playdoh is all a trick to get little finger muscles to hold a pencil, something they will be doing the rest of their lives!! When I figured that out for myself (about jr. high school) it sort of tee-ed me off!! Now I am passing the "games" (wink wink nudge nudge [hey, get your mind out of the gutter]) down to my little one to trap her into the mode of school. She already knows though college is not an option!! She will go to college. I am already grooming her for a career too, heh!

9 comments:

Shaun said...

Hey Bev, hadn't been to your blog in a while.
Where did our babies go? SG floors me too. She can read any book as well as adding and subtracting 3 and 4 digit numbers. Steve wasn't aware of her math skills and asked her to add 6987+9468 a couple of days ago. She sat at the table and added it and said, "here you go dad." He folded it up and put it in his wallet. My nephew is in the first grade and SG easily does his homework. She has the personality and social skills of a normal 4 year old but the brains of an older child. While I am very proud of her, it breaks my heart to see my "baby" growing up.

Monica said...

"She already knows though college is not an option!! She will go to college. I am already grooming her for a career too, heh!"

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Making a game of learning really intensifies how much is absorbed/retained, for sure!

laurel said...

She is a smart one. I knew it all along.

Briana's Mom said...

What a smart girl!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I know this is an exciting time! Lottie is recoginizing letters in our names although Lottie cannot remember her last name and doesn't understand we all have the same last name.

BTW...I couldn't keep up with the "uhs" last night...way too many! lol

Vivian M said...

It's amazing how quickly they learn, our kids' brains are like sponges! Good for you for taking the time to educate her and encourage learning, no matter how tired you are at the end of the day.

PS...you've been tagged! Come check out my blog.

Super Mommy said...

That's fantastic abstract thinking on Glenys part! And in my house, college is not an option either - just like church!!

Christy said...

What a smartie!!! Dont you love when things start to clicking with regards to education.

Christy :)

AZMom said...

She is too smart for her own good ;-) That is great. She reminds me a lot of Bug.