Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Y'all I Forgot About This Conversation

Last night the temp got really cold like into the 30s but I am determined to not turn on my heat until at least Dec because today the high was in the high 60s or low 70s. So I put on an extra blanket and turned on a space heater for the night. G and I were heading to bed and she said, "We are starvin'. It is so cold. Mama are you gonna put on socks? My feet are starvin'. I am so starvin'." It took me a minute for the phrase to register and she then looked at me and said, "Mama, are you starvin'?"

In that moment my heart filled up with protectiveness for her over her mistake of words. I can't explain it but at that moment I wanted freezin' and starvin' to be the same. I told her that I was "freezin'" and she repeated "freezin'" back to me. As we were settled, quiet and lying in the dark I said, "G, I love you so much." She said, "Mama, why you said that?" I just told her that I did, and I said it because it was true!

So, is any body else out there "starvin'?"

7 comments:

Super Mommy said...

Maybe a little hungry - but not starvin' - Houston doesn't get that cold! ;)

I love how G's mind works!

Monica said...

We're not starvin' yet...the snow I've been reading about on other blogs hasn't made it this far south yet!

My youngest daughter, Rayna, shares Glenys penchant for using the wrong word. Makes for very colorful conversations! I have to admit, that "starvin'" actually makes sense in a funny kind of way!

Kate said...

Quite often 'starvin' round here - I live in a rambling converted barn with thick stone walls, can't keep it warm but we've got plenty of food.
So if you come to Wales bring your woolies but expect a good feed!
K x

Vivian M said...

We are too chubby to be starvin' and luckily we did not lose power in the storm so we have heat. Kerri is a furnace anyway, she always takes the covers off!
Glenys is too cute. Give her an extra hug from us!

Briana's Mom said...

I love that story. So sweet!

The Byrd's Nest said...

I love their little minds.

AZMom said...

She says the cutest things. We have yet to turn on the heat out here. We still run the AC until about 8pm. ugh.