Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to my bloggy friends. If you are traveling, do be careful and enjoy your time with your families.
This has become one of my favorite holidays of the year though I dislike the foods associated with it. It took a long time to come to this realization, and it seems that this Thanksgiving has a black cloud over my head for no discernible reason. I actually enjoy the time with family without the stress of pleasing people with gifts. It is a time to truly look to the One (and not "that one") Who has provided for us all year long with promise to never leave or forsake us.

As much as I have come to appreciate this holiday I have realized that this holiday also may be the holiday that has caused me the most grief when speaking of food. I am one of the most picky eaters around though I like things that my family doesn't like (so who really is the picky one, hmmm?). I have brought food to the family feasts in the past only to be met with disdain and totally full leftovers. So I don't bring food anymore or make cooking suggestions. Apparently my tastes are so well ahead of everyone else they can't enjoy the tasty morsels I bestow on their lowly taste buds ::snort::.

Family members tend to comment the most on what I do or do not eat and criticize my mom for buying different foods for me or fixing different foods for me. Never mind that I don't ask her to do this as I am just as quick to snack on chips, cheese or side dishes than to eat something set before me. For me it is the camaraderie of the season not the food so much. Mom also tends to mention to everybody that she has purchased different foods for me which doesn't help the situation.

The precedent of different but equal (foods that is) was set early as my paternal grandmother always made (along with the turkey dinner stuffs) a complete fried chicken meal with gravy/biscuits and mashed potatoes (ummm). And again family members, who would partake in both meals at the same time, always begrudged teased celebrated with me the fact that my grandmother mainly fixed both because I wouldn't eat the turkey stuffs. But lest you think I am so special, my grandmother made things for other family members too and yes, like is the custom, we picked on celebrated with them too.

Due to the traumatic comments as a child, now as a grown up I can't stand for people to mention or talk about what I do or do not eat or say something at all about what I am eating. This happens more frequently than you might imagine and it isn't because I eat such odd things. I really can't explain it other than an attempt of some to connect with me over food but due to circumstances unknown to the commenter, it drives me ape shi ite batty! One particular woman from a previous employment would come into the break room at lunch and always comment on what I brought for lunch. I really got to where I just wouldn't go when she was there. By comments I mean things like, "Oh that smells good, what is it?" "Umm hotdog?!?" heh.

So now we head into another Thanksgiving time of way too much food and about that much family and I am feeling a bit more stress. Oh and yes my mom did purchase the ham and cheese loaf, brand- oscar myer, for me, and she told some relative on the phone within my hearing. So I will have a sandwich of ham substance and cheese substance and chips being very Thankful that I am not having to eat the turkey dinner (but would have made due otherwise). And yes ham and cheese loaf is my fav sandwich meat, if you can call it that.

Oh and G doesn't like Turkey either she tells me and is quite glad that I don't either. Just one more way she and I connect in her mind. She will eat more on the table than I will, though. She is an excellent eater! Obviously not due to anything I have done as my mother also likes to point out, if I cooked she may eat more and even better. Harumph! I can only cook what I am in the mood for and cooking for one adult and one 4 year old is tres difficile!


5 comments:

Vivian M said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bev and Glenys!
and Happy Birthday to your Mom on Dec 1st!

Super Mommy said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you enjoy it . . . .just eat a great meal of what you enjoy before you go visiting then just eat dessert!

Marla said...

I'm with you two, I dont like the bird either. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Everyday Mom Designs said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love the idea of a book for the SWI. How do you send it to them?

Love,
Monica