Sunday, November 02, 2008

Reformation Sunday

Other than being Halloween, October 31 is also the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 thesis to the door of Wittenburg church. His attempt was not to start a reformation but to discuss among his collegues what the Bible says about saving faith. Students took the thesis and translated it into the common language and within 2 weeks the reformation began. Tonight G and I attended a reformation service at the church we used to attend. I miss that church so much. This morning we celebrated the lives of those who in the last year graduated from the church militant to the church triumphant. I wish the baptist church celebrated those milestones of the church. Some may, but not the one I grew up in. Maybe a reformed congregation would, I dunno.

Also, the church I am currently attending the pastor is very nice, G loves him, but he is unsophisticated. His sermons consist mostly of stories. I miss the intellectual side of worship. Yes I know that sounds snotty but I am not as engaged in his sermons. Plus when saying the Nicene Creed or the Apostle's Creed I want the minister to say first, "Christian, what do you believe?" not just start in unison. Something about the question makes the saying of them more personal somehow.

And oh the music from my old church. It is almost like walking into heaven on earth. I am excited to enter Advent season as we will be attending the special services for the season. They choir does Handel's Messiah and I love that service.

Anyway in our current church I started attending the class of the very oldest members of the congregation, no lie. They have asked me to teach so I will give it a whirl in two weeks. I somehow feel more comfortable in there than with the couples of my own age. I would really prefer a single sex class not mixed but this will do. They are precious people and the lady this morning reminded me so much of my maternal grandmother. I could so see my grandmother teaching her Methodist women Sunday school class while sitting in this one. My grandmother passed in 2001 or 2002. I can't remember when. All I know it was over Thanksgiving weekend and buried on my mom's bday.

Thanks for all the kind words and comments. I know things will get better I just wish I knew the answer now.

2 comments:

The Byrd's Nest said...

First of all Bev. I LOVE your heart for the Lord and your yearning to go deeper. As a pastor's wife, I wish more people had your heart in our congregation. They seem to want jokes and lighthearted stories and for this my heart aches for some of them.

I am thankful that you got to spend some time at your old church but even more thankful you will be teaching the Word at your new church. I know things are uneasy with your job and your rent house. Try to just be His faithful servant like you are and the blessing will come my dear friend.

Vivian M said...

What a wonderful opportunity to teach and inspire! Go for it, you will do wonderfully!