Friday, January 09, 2009

Another Conversation

Driving home after a family visit G asked me why she wouldn't be as tall as her grandaddy, who is 6ft. I told her she didn't take after her grandad and then she said something I wasn't expecting. She said, "Why do I not wook wike my family?"

So I said, "Well, you do look like your family in China, your first family. You are adopted into our family. I adopted you and you adopted us." (yeah I know she hadn't a choice in her adopting.)

But before I could keep on she totally changed the subject which was noticing that we were going a different way home, heh. I wish I could explain genetics to her, but for a 4 year old I just don't know. I tell her she doesn't have her grandaddy's genes and I know by her response I know she is thinking "jeans."


11 comments:

Ryan Ashley Scott@Opitimistic Cyicism said...

You just never know what they're gonna say. I find that every time I try to answer his questions or explain something to Monsoon, he just changes the subject, like he really wasn't that interested anyway and I'm making much too big a deal out of it.

a little leprechaun said...

Tough question! I like how you said I adopted you and you adopted us. I may use that, if that's ok...

Heather said...

Ah well, telling them liottle by little, like you do with the birds and the bees will gradullay get them there.
Heather BT

laurel said...

She truly is a smartie. Wow. Good answer tho'. But glad she moved on to a different subject, at least until she is a little older to understand. I think it is great you are so honest.

Meredith Teagarden said...

Oh gosh. Jane will do this soon. I guess the answers start out simpler than we are thinking?!

Anonymous said...

Same here, usually by the time I have my answer together, she is on to the next thing. But if its important, I will answer it for her later. Fun stuff....

Super Mommy said...

I think you handled that perfectly. We as adults tend to over explain . . . she asked you a simple question . . . you gave her a simple answer - then she went on!

The Byrd's Nest said...

You obviously satisfied her question, Lottie and Emma Jane have not said anything about looking different....yet

Vivian M said...

Kerri changes topics and accepts things for the moment too. But then she surprises us and brings it up again later, and puts more thought into it. It might be a good idea to start thinking of other ways to explain now, so you are prepared when that conversation happens.
I have some books put away for that day, but for now we can still just talk it out.

Jonni said...

G is so smart to be only 4 years old. It sounds like you handled it perfectly. Sometimes those questions just come out of left field don't they? I know we will be facing those questions in the next couple of years too, so I am going to look to you for help (lol). :)

Hugs,
Jonni

Dawn said...

What a smart and inquisitive girl Miss G is! We've been gradually telling CM about the adoption.