Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Finally, Something Wonderful in the Daycare!!

There are many great teachers in G's daycare. It is not the most diverse place as G is the only full Asian child, one little girl is mixed race Vietnamese and Caucasian. Of course the main race is white with a few African Americans there and then G. No Hispanics that I know of or that I have seen and though there is a decent Asian population between the two towns due to Hino Motors, though the kids tend to be older. But today, when I walked in there was a young Asian woman (beautiful girl) standing there. I thought she was a friend of one of the workers and wondered why the teachers kept pointing at her for me to look at. So I did. It was just the you know, once up and down like "yeah." Well, this is G's new teacher and I am so excited on two fronts.

She is Thai, adopted from Thailand. I asked her the "Where are you from?" with a double intent but would have not pressed had she just said the state (maybe eventually I would have asked because I can't not be nosey). But she offered that she was adopted from Thailand. I said, "Well, I did want to know that but I also meant mainly were you from here." I of course (the other teachers had already) told her that G was adopted from China.

She of course had never heard of her new town until her husband got a job 45 mins up the road (literally). They are in a good location though. She just graduated college, got married a week ago and moved then started her job today.

But I almost cried because I am hormonal and just so glad for G to have someone who looks like her in her class as a grown up role model. I so hope I am not disappointed. Okay, so maybe I put too much hope and expectations on G's teachers!!

12 comments:

Christy said...

You just made me cry-- really-- I think I am hormonal also but tears are totally running down my face. I think that is so God that G now has a role model that she can relate to-- not only that she is asian but she is ADOPTED!!! That is absolutly amazing and something I think many of us hope our daughters and sons would have the opportunity to have sometime throughout their lives. I am so happy for you guys-- you and G!!!!

Christy :)

Super Mommy said...

Awesome news Bev! Jasmine also has a teacher of Chinese decent - I love it!! I'm sure she will be just great!!

fricke92 said...

That's great news! I think it's always important for kids to have positive adult role models that look like them.

Amy said...

You know my two boys are from Thailand! Too cool!!!

"MissMeliss" said...

That is awesome!!!! Hope it goes well!

Melissa

mommy24treasures said...

wow that is truly wonderful Beverly!

Marla said...

What a great feeling. Adalyn has a classmate that is from the same city as her. I was excited when I found this out because she has someone who looks like her and wont feel alone, ok I need a tissue.

Ellie Monster said...

That is amazing. Hopefully a relationship will develop with the three of you and Glenys will have someone to go to as well as you (as far as asking her how she felt when - fill in the blank -). Kind of a look into the future for you both. Sort of... not exactly... you know what I'm sayin'.
(I hope I don't sound like a total bonehead... I'm kinda high on cold medicine)

Anonymous said...

That really is neat. Last summer, a Chinese friend's niece babysat my daughter for the week between when summer camp ended and school began. My daughter spent that week going to the local Chinese grocery store, making and eating Chinese food, and going places like the zoo with the niece and a nephew who was also staying with my friend. For a week she was completely Chinese in America. No one did any double takes when they looked at her. She felt the difference.

Elizabeth J.

Kim said...

I think that is wonderful! Natalie is the only non-white child in her daycare of 24. I was so excited when a local Chinese family was going to send their daughter there but they changed their mind at the last minute.

Vivian M said...

I think it is really important that our girls know they are "normal" and that there are other families like ours out there. That is why we participate in our (at the time) local FCC group. We would meet other adoptive families once or twice a month, and some of these families have become dear friends. Kerri thinks it is absolutely normal for a Chinese adoptive kid to have white or Hispanic or diverse looking parents and siblings. She also knows there are bio families too.
I think it is wonderful that G will know/see that she is not "alone" and that she has someone she can relate to.

Everyday Mom Designs said...

This is so awesome!