Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bugs' Life Interrupted

videoThe joys of summer evenings are being discovered by G this year. One of those joys being catching lightening bugs. She really hasn't attempted to venture outside much by herself and I have been as reluctant to allow it. This year though as long as Clementine is out, G is okay with being out there. So as soon as we came home tonight she took off outside. I took her net to her so she could catch bugs. She begged for a jar but I was thinking mason jar of which I have none. I found her empty seaweed jar then and put foil with (too large) holes in it. Two of the bugs escaped in the house later ::shudder:: only to be recaptured and have the foil top replaced with one with much smaller holes.

I remember chasing these at my grandmother's home when we would get to her house on a Friday evening. I don't remember mosquitos being as bad though as they are now. Maybe it was the naivete of childhood or selective memories, I don't know but mosquitos are another reason for my reluctance on being outside. Yes I do spray, her but she still manages a few bites that are painful and annoying.

videoHere are the bugs when I first brought them in. She named them David, Michael and Jack.

4 comments:

Marla said...

Oh the excitement in her voice is priceless!

Heather BT said...

Ah yes, our childhood, when DDT was still used, and mosquito control wiped out millions of beneficial bugs and other wildlife. That's why the mosquitos are worse, but I've noticed both my kids react more severely to bites than do the caucasian people I know. You could try a preemptive benedryl to stave off the reaction. but then you'd had a drowsy kiddo.

Everyday Mom Designs said...

That is so sweet.. haha.. cute names for her new little friends too!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Lottie loves to catch bugs! Ewwww....