Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Ah, Summer, Which Means Projects, Apparently







Monday was the first day that G didn't go to daycare. I had briefly mentioned to my mom that I wanted to take this week and build a brick patio out the back door. Mainly it is to keep the mud, mosquitos and yuck from building up around the steps into the house and from being brought in by the dog.





We have brick, some here from the non-working chimneys that were located in this house before renovation and from a house that was on my mom's land that burned. It had been a pre-civil war era mansion that burned to the ground in 1975. So old bricks and very non-conforming in style, just a simple pattern for my purpose. Anyhoo, sometimes I have great, no, no, let me rephrase that, sometimes I have GRAND ideas but looooonnnnnggggg time frames, and this project was no different. I really probably wouldn't have even started it this week or this summer, heh.

Well, my dad calls yesterday morning to make sure that I was going to be around so he could bring the sand for the patio. Okay, so dad thinks it is a good idea and his time frames are generally shorter in scope and action. So yesterday, G, my dad and I started bricking in the patio. We got about half done before running out of bricks from my yard. I will have to get the bricks from Dad's yard to finish. We unloaded all the sand (I have a burst blister to prove it) and G thoroughly enjoyed herself, not even wanting to stop and eat.

Now this patio took a bit of work because the brick had to be moved from the back yard to the patio area and that is no small feat. Plus there were slugs everywhere. I prayed and prayed (and was heard) about not finding a snake in the bricks. We had to load the bricks in G's wagon, pull it to the patio area and unload it or place the bricks in place. That is tough work. At one point G said, "Somebody needs to get dis sweaty baby some bottled watuhr." She was too funny helping.

Of course when it is finished it will be wonderful. In the meantime it is very very sandy.

7 comments:

Donna said...

G, you're a terrific helper. If one of my girls saw slugs, they would stop helping immediately. I'm glad you didn't see any snakes.

Doug and Terrye said...

I bet the snakes were praying you wouldn't see them either ;)

Terrye in FL

Everyday Mom Designs said...

She is just so cute and funny..

Ali said...

Looks like it's going to turn out great!

fricke92 said...

Think of all the calories you burned in the process! :) Looks great!

Vivian M said...

Oh How cool! I bet it is going to look fabulous!
And Miss G is a hoot, what a cute sweaty baby!

AZMom said...

What a great job you guys are doing!