Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Ni Hao Kai Lan

G (and I) loves Ni Hao Kai Lan. We watch it every time we get a chance when we are at my parents. Just FYI, I don't have any satellite hook up or cable on my TV, haven't for 10 years or so. I only have a VCR and DVD player. We have 1 KaiLan DVD that we do watch in rotation with all the other DVDs and videos.

So the other night we were having dinner at my mom's (before the 4th) and KaiLan was teaching "ai" or love. G comes up to me and asks how to say love in Chinese. I tell her "ai" and then I say, "Wo ai ni. I love you." I sort of heard KaiLan teaching it and saying, "Wo ai ladybugs."

G then asks, "Mama, did my fahsturh mommy say, 'wo ai ni' to me?"
I said, "Yes, baby, I am sure she did." G scampered off to watch TV again and I said to my mom, "Sometimes, those questions just getcha right here (pointing to the lump in my throat)." My mom just smiled.

Someone told me G was too young to be talking about her adoption and stuff related to it. Um, nope, she isn't. She has questions and wants answers. She sees unfairness in the fact that she isn't Caucasian like me and her grandparents. She loves to match, and knows she doesn't.

Today leaving therapy we talked about "G" as in the elevator button for "ground" floor. I said, "It is G for 'ground' and for 'G' (hername)."

G said, "Yeah and for gwammie and gwandaddy's name too. We match and you don't so we win and you lose." Such the little competitor!

5 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

I can see how that can put a lump in your throat. I am waiting for those questions from Bri. G is still so little, one day she will embrace her uniqueness.

Marla said...

I dont think they are ever to young, it's not like we can fool them. Adalyn loves to win too, we even race up the stairs and heaven help you if you try to beat her.

Vivian M said...

I don't think G is too young, Kerri has been asking questions since she can talk.
I feel that lump too, hang in there!

MamaMiaMelissa said...

Love it. I imagine my little one will say something like that at some point...

Melissa

PS. I agree about your Palin post. I think people need to leave her alone.

The Princess's Mommy said...

LM talks about China and her "fiends" there all the time. Makes me wonder sometimes just how much she remembers.

Love,
Monica

ps-Love the swimming pool pic in the header! She is too cute!