Friday, October 02, 2009

Laundry Soap 1; Mama 0

I decided after finding a very easy recipe for making your own laundry soap that I would give it a try. The recipe I found was on Denise's blog: There's Always Room for One More, and she made it look so easy.

I while back (beginning of summer) in order to save money I thought about making my own detergent but then I found for under $9 a huge bucket o' detergent at the grocery store. I figured I couldn't ever make my own soap for $9 or less so I gave that up.

Anyway, the other day I picked up a dish wash rag that I had washed and it still smelled really badly like, well I dunno what, but it stunk. So then I began to really wonder if the less than $9 was worth the price of having semi clean clothing but not really clean clothing. With the molluscum I am fighting I need to know my clothes are clean.

So back to making the soap, Denise didn't seem to have much problem finding everything locally, but I did. I ended up ordering the fels naptha soap bars on line (googled fels naptha). They happened to be $.99 per bar with $4.95 shipping which equalled less than $2 a bar. Denise's recipe is 1 box washing soda, 1box Borax, 6 cups baking soda and 6 bars of fels naptha. The soap bars have to be shredded then all of it mixed up. Everything else was easily found.

One thing I will do differently is I will buy the fels naptha already shredded (33 oz of shredded soap=6 bars). See the title of this post? Well, in the shredding of the soap I practically lost a knuckle. Yeah, took a while to stop the bleeding. So blood, sweat and tears literally were used in the making. And it is on my thumb. So not a good spot for anyone. Now I have a big bandaid on my thumb, and on the other hand a big band aid on a finger for another injury from last week.

I will reluctantly admit that I may be a bit more clumsy than my peers, so that is good news for you if you wish to make your own soap. I doubt anyone else would cut off their knuckle while shredding soap. Oh and the mixing of the ingredients was sort of a pain as the now shredded soap has the consistency of shredded cheddar cheese (not the already shredded cheese either). I don't recommend shredding while hungry either as you may be tempted by the look of said soap.
Anyhoo, I am eager to try out the new detergent on all my wash cloths in my whole house and the towels that sour too quickly. Denise said only 1/8 of a cup but that just doesn't look like a lot so I will have to try that first and then adjust up a bit or not. Her kids just bragged on the good smell of her clothes so I am hoping to see, feel and smell the difference. Who knows, this may become a way of life.

Total time to prepare the detergent: roughly 45 mins give or take. My hands sure smell good too.

3 comments:

AZMom said...

Let me know how you like it!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Wow....how awesome that you did this...well except for your knuckle;) Good job!

Kim said...

That is pretty much my recipe too except the powdered version didn't work worth a crap ion my front loader. But when I did the liquid version, it was great :)