Friday, November 20, 2009

November 20, 2009, RIP, Mrs. Carol Cate

G's kindergarten teacher passed away this morning. She was pronounced DOA at the hospital but more than likely she was already gone when the ambulance arrived. Due to the swelling caused by the tumor it appears that the fluid may have caused a stroke.

The school called all the parents of the kids in her room or told us as we dropped off children at the school. I was called as G usually rides the bus. I arrived as the principal was still talking to the kids.

I had actually gone back to bed feeling rather poorly due to the sinus infection. When I got the message I immediately left the house to get to the school without having had ANY coffee. By noon my head was hurting so badly, and I HAD NO clue as to the reason. The no coffee thing didn't occur to me until after 2pm as I was taking G to spend the night with her grandparents. Two aleve didn't relieve my headache so my dad made me coffee at 4pm, and that is helping (not that you are asking). I love my dad.

Anyway, Mrs. Cate's husband and children will need MUCH prayer to get through this time. The photo is deceiving, as she was much younger than she looks. The cancer unbeknownst to any of us at the taking of the picture was already growing. Services are this Sunday. Thanksgiving is next week.

The little neighbor girl who was also in her class (I will just call her P) will need lots of prayer as well. She lost her dad last Christmas to cancer, and Mrs. Cate was like a second grandma to her.

Pray for the kindergarten kids who will have an indefinite sub for the time being (probably until after Christmas). There will be a time to revisit the loss when someone removes all of Mrs. Cate's things from that room which will make the room itself look different.

Pray for the sub as she is coming in mid year needing to pickup and not lose any of what has already been learned. This is going to be a tough year.

This picture was on the first day of school.

9 comments:

Kim said...

:(

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh Bev...I am praying for this precious woman's family and for all of her children in her class. Oh this just breaks my heart. I hope you are feeling better soon my friend.

LaLa said...

Oh, I am so sorry.....praying here for everyone involved

Catching Butterflies 3 said...

I'm so sorry. She looks like such a wonderful women, and so young. I'll think of you all and try to remember you in my prayers.

Briana's Mom said...

I am saying a prayer right now. So devastating.

Vivian M said...

I am so saddened by this news, I was hoping she would make it through and beat this. Our sincere condolences to her family, friends, coworkers and students.

Please give Miss G an extra big hug from us.

Heather BT said...

Acer lost his beloved teacher's aide last year, she was like his own personal teacher and was wonderful with him. He acted out for a bit as the changes happened, but settled in, after a bit.
We took him to the viewing so that he could meet her family and let them know how much she meant to him. The viewing itself meant little to him (for obvious reasons) but his being there meant a lot to the family as they'd heard many Acer stories.
It wouldn't surprise me to find the kids are a lot more resilient about this than one might expect. I know that Acer's class rebounded fairly quickly, so I'll pray for that for G's class too.
Take care
H

Kristin said...

Praying for all of you. I can't even imagine the pain for her family much less the sufferings of the children in her class. I am so sorry.

kimmie said...

I know you were worried about this possibility when we last saw each other. I'm so sorry for everyone - the family, the kids in the class, you!