Monday, January 25, 2010

Screwed! Totally and Completely!

That is so what I am. So now I will owe AR all of the unemployment benefit from August 10, 2009, through the end of the year. TN finally called today (day 12 of the filing) and when asked about the delay said, "Well, we are behind." Apparently, after the initial 26 weeks of state unemployment I should have been forced to file in TN before the Federal EUC kicked in. By the way, have I mentioned that TN is $200 less a week than AR? Yeah, so um, SCREWED, that is what I am.

When I asked when would the check be sent she said, "In 6 to 8 weeks." I said something about how unfair it was to require the payback to AR and for TN to not pick up now in 2010 she said, "Who said life is fair." I kid you not!! I told her I didn't like her attitude and I wanted to speak to someone higher up (which she did not let me do). So now I am totally and officially losing everything and still have no job prospects.

Then of course the TN worker blaimed the federal government for the rules governing the EUC funds. The sad thing is I have been in touch with AR personally all year last year and not until January 4, 2010 did they say anything about my needing to apply for TN unemployment.

8 comments:

Super Mommy said...

What a terrible way to start off the new year. I am sooooo sorry. Do I understand your post to say you have to pay back the unemployment and TN is not going to give you backpay?? That doesn't sound right - it sounds like a mess for sure. I am praying for you.

PS...the comment she made to you on the phone was totally uncalled for...she apparently has a job based on other people's misery...she should be a little more sensitive. I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

TanyaLea said...

I am SO sorry to hear about this. You can bet the enemy is having a hay-day with this one. Praying that God turns things around and that all glory points to Him in the end.

I second everything Super Mommy said...and I think you should definitely call the supervisor and report that insensitive comment and how she denied you the right to speak to her supervisor or someone higher up. Pretty sure she cannot do that!!

Hang in there and be sure to lean on the Lord for strength. He is able to see you through and bring some light to lead you out of that dark tunnel.

((hugs))

Stephanie Boaz said...

It doesn't sound right at all, and it completely stinks. Is there any type of appeal process? Are there other agencies in your area that might be able to help with temporary or permanent work? I'm guessing not...... I'm so sorry, and we are keeping you in our prayers that a good job is found soon.

Vivian M said...

That does not make sense - how could they ask you to pay back unemployment? Especially when TN is not paying you? I think you need to escalate this.
I am so sorry Bev, praying hard for something good to come out of all of this for you and Miss G.

bajones said...

This sucks!!! What happens if you don't pay it in full? In other words, if you tell them you'll be happy to pay it back when you have income, but since you have no income you can't pay it back anyway.

This is probably a long shot, but have you considered doing daycare in your home? I don't know if this would be something you would even consider. I've thought about doing it. In Kansas I would have to be licensed, and it can be a pain to go through the procedure. But if I could take care of 5 kids at $100/week per kid, I could survive on that. When I was looking for daycare for my kids, I was surprised to learn that it is hard to find good daycare for infants. Another possibility might be substitute teaching. Again, in my area they want substitute teachers to actually be certified to teach, but a friend in Arizona was able to substitute teach with just a college degree. Different states have different requirements.

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. Rush was talking about TN today. You should email him with your story. You are still in my prayers and I hope something works out soon.

Kimmie said...

Beverly -

Sending you hugs across the river and prayers that something good will happen to change this mess. I can't believe what I just read. I wish to God Jerry's business was bringing in an income so we could help you out. All we can offer is a place to crash if you need it - - and that is at least while we are still in our house! This economy has hurt so many families. Hope to see you and Glenys Saturday. Real in person hugs then . . .

Sharon said...

That is CRAZY Bev!! Is there anything to do about it? I just hope you can still your heart and rest in 'all is well' becasue somehow it will be. and still fight when the time is right!! Praying!