Sunday, January 03, 2010

Things That Shape You

My pastor's sermon today was actually pretty good. He talked about the new year of course and our response to it. The part that struck me the most was about things that shape you. Now, I fade in and out of his sermons sometimes because he doesn't give 1, 2, 3 steps or a, b, c points, so it is hard for me to remain focused. (I need an outline or points to write down in order to focus).

Anyway, my point is that I didn't hear whether he came up with this alone or if he got it from a specific book or author so I am going to say my pastor said it in his sermon and may have referenced it, but I missed it. He said at least two things shape you: 1) not the things that happened to you in your past but your interpretation of what happened to you in your past and 2) your belief about what will happen in the future.

Now the future comment I know he referred to Viktor Frankl and his experience in the concentration camps, (by the way, if you haven't read Man's Search for Meaning then you are missing a lot!). Frankl wanted to know why some people died in the camps (not the ones killed but the ones that just gave up and died) and some didn't. He discovered it was their outlook. The ones that had hope survived and the ones who didn't gave up and died.

So the big question is how will you let the future shape you and how will you let your past shape you? Of course the "you" is referring to me too.

If you happen to know my pastor, do not tell him I can't pay attention to his sermons it may hurt his feelings.

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

Attitude is everything, and perception is reality.

Maybe it would help you to focus by taking bullet points or notes during his sermons? If you still can't concentrate, you can always doodle. Or make lists.