Saturday, January 09, 2010

What a Traumatic Day!


For me that is. G started upwards three weeks ago. They have had two practices, and last night coach called to say she had a game today. She stayed at my parents' last night, but her suit was here so they dropped by on the way to the game to get her suit. She wore blue jeans under her ball clothes cause they got her dressed at the gym.

These games are total and complete torture just as the director said, "controlled chaos." They didn't know what they were doing, nary a one of them. G got the ball once and didn't even bother to dribble it, just ran it to the goal. The coaches kid wouldn't throw the ball in from the sideline, he just handed it off and cried because he had to give the ball up. G had the ball stolen from her twice as she dribbled. The last kid she guarded wanted to play chase with G instead of watch the ball himself. PITIFUL and why didn't someone tell me how bad it would be?!?!

But before all of this (where the trauma comes in), I spilled my 20 oz coffee on the floor in the gym of my parents church where upwards is played. I was mortified, and my dad was pissed. I also ended up with a headache because I couldn't have coffee again before the game was over. We had to be at the gym at 8:30am, what were they thinking?!?!?!?

She was awarded for the day the white star, the Christ-like award. All the kids got an award, and this was the most important given out. I believe it was the only award left and she was the last kid to not have one already would be happy if she got that one award every game although if she doesn't learn how to play the game that may be the only award for her to get.

The highlight of the day though was my mom agreed to cut my hair off at chin length which looks so much better!!

And before I get comments about the whole "having fun learning the game thing", you did not see my child's face out there not knowing what she was doing! I know my child, and if she doesn't understand how to do something or doesn't think she can do it well, she doesn't like to try it. She was fairly stressed out there not sure what to do or where to go. That was very tough for me to watch. She did not enjoy it until it was over same goes for her mama.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh that's how it still is for Sophie and they've had 4 or 5 games. It's painful to watch sometimes. It's kind of like when your kid is playing baseball and gets stuck in left field and plays with the flowers and weeds. Sophie actually got a basket today, but they still don't get it. I understand wanting them to learn the basics, but they haven't really even taught that. She's going to try soccer in the spring and I think she will like that. She still loves basketball, but is getting bored. G does look cute in her uniform though :).

Marla said...

Soccer was a nightmare for us. I got some good pictures though, so it wasn't a total loss. Maybe she'll get the hang of it soon.

Vivian M said...

Oy what a morning! I do not understand why kids are put in these positions, to play sports without knowing what they are supposed to be doing. It seems like so much unneeded stress and not fun at all.
I think if she is not having fun, she should not be involved in that sport, period.

Stephanie Boaz said...

Maybe it will get better with time. :-) Too bad they have to play games at this age, and can't just learn some of the skills and have fun with it. Sorry about your coffee, too!

Super Mommy said...

When our church had Upward Bound, we went for the Cheerleading! We watched those kids they were cheering for, it was total chaos. I do hope it gets better for them!