Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Review


I enjoyed this book and will keep it for future reference or a re-read. One point that was made in this book that caused me to pause was the fact that Christianity has its beginnings in the East which means it is an eastern religion. Point being we should not be afraid to treat it as such and go places in prayer that the western mind has trouble doing or reasoning. Ken Wilson says that prayer is as much a place or at least will take you to a physical place and that our minds are already wired to go.


It makes a great case for prayer and meditation being a part of our religious experience and worship. I find it very difficult to pray during stressful times which is the exact opposite of what should happen. If however I made prayer a part of my day at exactly the same time, even the same space, then I would go there no matter what was going on in my life. Ken Wilson does an excellent job of pointing to the reason for the need of a prayer habit in our lives. He also makes the case of praying prayers of other people specifically, the contemplative prayers, which by the way lead me to another book by a 13th or 14th century contemplative.
This book really will take you deeper into your prayer life if you give it the proper attention and read it for all it is worth.

I review for BookSneeze I received a copy of this book for this review but the opinions are all mine and mine alone.

No comments: