One hundred things to do before you start kindergarten. (added new answers for first grade)
1. Go to the zoo. Yes-quite a bit.
2. Visit a farm. No not yet.
3. Go on a hike. only with her grandad.
4. Play with kittens or puppies. oh Yea.
5. Catch a frog— Yes.
6. Make a gigantic mess— Yes but does keep up with her stuff very very well.
7. Help clean up a gigantic mess— yes sometimes
8. Master the monkey-bars— yes, G learned in Kindergarten
9. Swing high up into the sky all by themselves— yes very high.
10. Try ice-skating - no.
11. Go sledding—yes with grandad.
12. Make a snow-man—Yes.
13. Blow bubbles— Still a favorite thing to do. G can even blow gum bubbles.
14. Plant seeds and watch them grow— Yes would like to grow an apple tree too.
15. Have a pillow fight—Yes.
16. Jump on a big bed—Yes and that is a big no-no.
17. Jump on a trampoline or in a bounce house—Yes.
18. Hang out in a tent— yes but not this year and not camping.
19. Spend days at the beach— only on a lake two years ago. After finding a closer/cleaner pool we don't go to the lake anymore.
20. Build sandcastles— tried failed.
21. Go fishing—G loves to do so with her grandad.
22. Go out on a boat— not yet.
23. Play with blocks and puzzles—Yes still loves them.
24. Read the classic picture books—yes
25. Read a classic chapter book—started one but became too distracted. Not sure she is ready to be still that long.
26. Check out library books with their own library card—yes, mostly Junie B Jones.
27. Get a passport— not yet.
28. Carve a pumpkin— yes and loved it.
29. Hold a newborn baby (to see how much they’ve grown) -no, don't know anyone pregnant.
30. Love a special doll or stuffed animal— still has her original from China bunny and two blankets.
31. Bake cookies and cakes—Yes and cupcakes for her birthday
32. Help plan their own birthday party— yes and planned her sleepover out for months prior to the bday every detail down to what if guest is afraid.
33. Go to the circus— no, not yet.
34. Go to a museum on a quiet weekday—Yes.
35. Play hide-and-seek— Yes
36. Play a board game— yes and card games as well. Learned the Chinese game go at culture camp this year.
37. Do nothing whatsoever all day— not often would like to do so more.
38. Try a sport— Soccer and basketball, loved them both.
39. Watch a sporting event—yes, Redbirds baseball.
40. Learn to swim—like a fish.
41. Be tickled in hysterics— yes.
42. Paint and draw as much as desired— yes G is very artistic and loves to paint.
43. Have the use of scissors and glue— oh yea and only one small hair cutting incident that required no intervention thankfully.
44. Display artworks and other creations around the house— yes all over.
45. Learn to use a camera (and keep an album of the results!)—yes hers and mine.
46. Play with clay—Yes.
47. Pick flowers— Yes.
48. Climb a tree— Yes.
49. Gaze at the moon and stars— Yes and the clouds.
50. Toast marshmallows— yes but not crazy about them.
51. Learn to eat an ice-cream cone - not sure
52. Watch a sunset—not intentionally
53. Learn to write their own names—yes and in cursive
54. Learn their addresses and telephone numbers— Yes but still has trouble with our long street name.
55. Learn their parents’ full names—Yes
56. Set the table—Yes
57. Clear the table—Yes
58. Help wash the dishes—Yes.
59. Learn to say their pleases and thank yous and excuse mes—Yes but is not very willing to do so.
60. Watch fireworks—Yes and for the first time ever she loved them.
61. Go to the ballet or theater or a puppet show—movie theater only.
62. Put on a ballet or play or puppet show at home—no ballet or dance hates to be the center of attention but she did do a stick puppet show for me once. She actually loved the making of it.
63. Face paint— yes like a princess but refused to be called such.
64. Dress up in costumes at will— not anymore only before she had an opinion was I able to dress her up in costumes.
65. Learn rhymes and poems and songs by heart—Yes.
66. Have a dance party— no not yet.
67. Enjoy friends at preschool and at the park—yes
68. Invite friends over to play—Yes. but not recently
69. Get to know grandparents—Yes.spends quite a lot of time with them when she can.
70. Play with cousins—Yes but not often
71. Become attached to a wonderful preschool teacher and/or babysitter— was not as attached to Kindergarten teacher.
72. Learn the name of our president— yes and that mama is not pleased with him at all.
73. Know the name of their town, state and country— Yes. yes but she gets confused about states, counties and countries.
74. Be familiar with a map of the world— Yes it is her shower curtain
75. Listen to music from many different ages and genres—Yes but has her favorites
76. Hear and learn words from a different language— yes
77. Learn the difference between trash and recycling—nah only the brainwashing type of stuff in school.
78. Grow their own vegetables— with her grandad but she won't eat them.
79. Learn to ride a bike (or try!)—yes but not without training wheels.
80. Take a road trip—Yes with friends to KY
81. Draw a self-portrait—Yes and I loved it.
82. Slurp alphabet soup— not really.
83. Learn to twirl spaghetti on a fork— yes
84. Pick apples— no not an orchard near by I don't think.
85. Star in a home movie—well not really just what I film of her
86. Learn a magic trick— yes and thinks she is a brilliant "musician"
87. Try different hair-dos— no not at all.
88. Practice writing letters— Yes and in cursive
89. Practice counting to 100— yes and learned to do so in Chinese, yea!
90. Make up stories— not really
91. Send a letter— yes in cards and to friends and cousins.
92. Receive a letter—Yes. loves to get mail of any kind.
93. Ride on a merry-go-round— loves to do so haven't in a while.
94. Give away toys and books to less fortunate children—can't seem to get her to let go of her stuff.
95. Learn the value of coins and bills—We are working on that
96. Keep a piggy bank— Yes and loves to remind me that she is richer than me.
97. Try a musical instrument— yes several but not with a lot of success, seems not to be too interested.
98. Have a heartfelt wish granted— I hope so.
99. Have a heartfelt wish denied—I am sure of that.
100. Receive a million (make that a billion) heartfelt kisses and hugs from their parent and grandparent and other known adults whom she allows that close, heh.