Friday, January 14, 2011

Rocking and Memory Verse Update

So as you read previously we are still rocking and memorizing verses. G has memorized John 3:16, Philippians 4:4, Zephaniah 3:17 and Micah 6:8b. Two from Upward basketball, two from karate requirements and two of them are New Testament and two are Old Testament. I love that because I never want G to say, "The old testament God is mean and vindictive but the new testament is all about love." I have had old Methodists in my class speak this way and it is oh so wrong.

My personal challenge beginning tomorrow is 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation. The old has passed away, behold the new has come." If only I could get that truth the roughly 12 inches from my head to my heart my whole life view would change. Living Proof ministries, Beth Moore's ministry, has a two verse a month memory challenge so that by the end of 12 months 24 verses have been memorized.

I chose Psalm 29:11 as my first verse this year which says, "The Lord gives strength to his people. He blesses his people with peace." Maybe this should be the year to memorize all the 29:11 verses. My favorite 29:11 verse is Jeremiah 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.'" Another verse I need to remember when my prayers are not answered the way I want them to be.

1 comment:

The Byrd's Nest said...

My dad always felt that way about the Old Testament...he described it almost like there were two different Gods.

I had not heard of the rocking chair challenge...I LOVE it! I think we may try that..although we will just have to use a regular chair:)