Thursday, December 29, 2011

What Would You Say to a 1 Year Truth Challenge?

Phil Calloway said yes which lead to a very funny book To Be Perfectly Honest: One Man's Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie.

Calloway is a Christian humorist and no that is not an oxymoron as many people may think. This is the first book I have ever read by him and I have a laugh warning for you, don't read while drinking (coffee up the nose is not comfortable) and don't read where your LOL bursts might embarrass you or get you fired.

I believe Calloway is a very brave man. This is a dare that though I would like to believe I always tell the truth about everything, we just completed a holiday that celebrated the birth the Savior of the world but left me telling fib upon fib about a dead St. who brings toys to children overnight. So yeah, truth telling challenges would not be for the faint of heart.

Through his book, however, he demonstrated true spiritual growth because even his prayer time with the Father changed. He made a fine point that prayers where we say the opposite of how we feel is quite ridiculous since God knows your thoughts and heart anyway.

There are tears as well as Calloway walks through the dementia that steals his mother in this life but finally releases her to a glorious after life with her Savior.

I really enjoyed this book. I was able to read it quickly over two days both laughing and crying. If you have had a rough year or are facing a difficult new year, this book will not only lighten your load but will give you perspective. I know I will look at my own life much differently after reading his trip through the year of telling the truth.

I received a free digital copy of this book. The opinions are 100% my own.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I reviewed this book also. It was an interesting experiment. Great review! :O)