Saturday, February 18, 2012

Did You Know? Everybody Cheats

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. All opinions are 100% mine.

Andy Stanley has released his book "Choosing to Cheat" under a new name: "When Work & Family Collide." Read chapter 1 here.

The basic premise of the book is that we tend to cheat our families when we make work (or activities) priority over them. We may think we don't and that working is really to earn a paycheck to support and care for our families. While that is one reason to work, some people tend to focus so much on work and work related activities that much of the family activities are pushed aside. I know I find myself doing this. Weekends used to be about going and doing even if it was just to the zoo on our membership. Now that I am working I am too tired or since gas has gone up too focused on making sure I have gas to get to work that we just don't go and do anymore.

When we take time that could or should be spent with those whom we love most and use that stolen time to fulfill our work duties or our own hobbies then we are cheating our family. The point is also that we don't necessarily have to be doing "bad" stuff but even noble activities and hobbies can take our valuable time away from our families.

Andy Stanley is calling us back to our priority helping us all to realize that putting our family first above work or hobby is most important. To do this he shows us how important it is to focus on God first. Being wholly submitted to God and His priorities will help us rearrange our lives to focus on our families. "After all, He takes full responsibility for the life that's wholly devoted to Him." I really like that quote because it is so right.

Good book that I highly recommend to anyone stuggling with setting boundaries with work or social life or family life so buy now.

1 comment:

The Byrd's Nest said...

That sounds like a great book Bev!!! I will have to check it out:)