Saturday, January 26, 2013

New Health Routine

Sort of. In an effort to get and stay healthy, G and I have started walking (so far only 30 mins) on Tues and Thursday and maybe Sunday (after nap). Plus she plays basketball (practice on Monday nights and game on Saturday). I am sticking with Karate on Monday nights and we both do karate on Fridays. I used to run a lot, even ran 2 marathons, trained for 4. I used to run 5k races and 1/2 marathons more regularly. This is not bragging because if you saw me now you would never guess that I ran for 6 years.

When G came home she hated the jogging stroller so I gave all of the running up. Depression in my circumstances set in and I managed to stay there for 7 years. After my last cappuccino machine broke I noticed I started dropping weight. I also cut out cereal in the morning just eating one sausage patty for breakfast and that is all which also helped with the weight loss.

Now G is old enough to go walk/run with me. We are walking with a light jog during the walk. I am teaching her to breathe correctly and not to sprint since we are going for longer time and build up endurance right now. I think we will both have more energy and lose extra weight. We both have the belly that needs to just go away! I don't think we will run any races but I haven't actually ruled that out completely either.

We both need to learn how to read our bodies for tiredness, hunger, full feeling, emotional feelings, etc. I also think this will help in the whole attachment department which is an on going row to hoe.

Last night, G was invited to spend the night with a friend but after really thinking about it she told my mom (where she was after school) that she is really tired by Friday afternoon and this friend likes to stay awake a long time so she changed her mind. Now Friday nights, G tries to stay awake by watching a movie with me but usually falls asleep before it ends. So I am glad she recognizes her tiredness and is willing to forego spending the nights for rest.

Now however, I am working on helping G tell if she is hungry or if she isn't but thinks she is. We usually eat the same amount of food when we eat lunch (like today) but she is starving tonight (so says her) and I am still full. She played for less than an hour outside so that is some of it but this is an everyday thing. I just can't imagine that she is really that hungry.

In that effort to help read our bodies we will start a new Saturday trial starting next week: breakfast (fairly large), lunch after basketball game around 2:30pm and no supper. One day a week will not hurt either of us. After all lots of people in the US and around the world are forced to skip many more meals than that. We will refocus our energies in drinking water (I think that is part of it, as in not enough) and milk (which she has almost given up in place of hot chocolate on cold mornings) and snack on yogurt or bananas if necessary.

Monday we are also going to set the timer on the breakfast eating and getting dressed. It really shouldn't take an 8 year old 1 hour or more to eat breakfast (today it took her 1 hour 45 mins to eat 4 mini pancakes and drink hot chocolate) and get dressed. It really shouldn't take 40 mins or more to eat breakfast but guess what, it does. G takes that long everyday until by the time we MUST leave I am a furious wreck.

So I am setting the timer for 20 mins each then if she has 20mins left over to play games she can do that. Self motivation doesn't work for her. Timer will. I have had the game playing before school if she gets ready early enough since, well, forever but she never does take adavantage of it. She then gets defiant and argues with me about how she can get ready in 15 mins but doesn't want to and how I don't have to work but I want to so my being late for work argument doesn't work on her. Last week I believe everyday but one she was in tears going to school and I was clinching my jaws so tight on the way to work from frustration and I am truly sick of it. It is all about control and lack of trust in attachement.

On to brighter things, I am still loving the new washer. Laundry isn't any easier or better but at least the washer still smells new! And the laundry room is still clean from pulling out the old and putting in the new.

We have clean sheets on the bed and I personally am ready to go there for the evening.

In the ballgame G made a basket today and attempted more shots this time than in the past games. She really made the other players she guarded really have to work for each step they took! I was very proud of her. They lost by A LOT because yet again, she has many new players (never played before) on her team. I just wish one season she would get on a winning team. She has had enough of the whole character building through losing, I think.

The weather is going to be in the high 70s this week and then a cold front is coming at some point. All of the daffodils and tulips are attempting to grow and bloom. We haven't had a cold enough winter for long enough yet. But here it is not a shock to have a deep snow in March so for us winter tries to keep us confused. Plus it is so damp in the air when the cold comes it feels so much worse on the bones.

So this week same old same old with a few new routines. Nothing new at work. Have a wonderful day of rest and wonderful week ahead.

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

I like the timer idea, structure seems to work for Kerri and if I get her out of a routine it takes way longer to catch up. And yay on the basketball and exercise front! As for the hunger pains, could Miss G be in a growth spurt? Or maybe she is thirsty/dehydrated and thinks she is hungry? Yay for the new washer! And enjoy the lovely weather. We are in the middle of a snowstorm and it is a mild 16 degrees Farenheit today. :o)