Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Holiday Weekend and other Ramblings

All was quiet on this side of the world (for us anyway).  Saturday G went swimming with her friend and decided she was grown enough to ignore mama's rule of sunscreen usage.  Saturday evening she was in a bit of pain.  Aloe to the rescue as well as a promise to never ever swim without sunscreen! 

First sunburn, who says adoptive parents don't get to celebrate a lot of firsts, heh.  Call me a sunscreen nassi, because I am.  And yes, little brown Chinese girls do sunburn, friend!

My consolation was that the friends are bright white which means they had to have been hurting much worse than G.  All the girls were sun kissed at first glance just later realization hit that the sun gave them painful hick*ys, heh.

Work is still very very good.  Loving my job.  We were given 3 extra hours of holiday on Friday which was very nice.  G and I had karate Friday night but will be out until June, so a short break.

Saturday my mom called out of the blue and said, "Let's go somewhere."  I said, "I am on my way.  G is at a friend's. Let's go."  She and I went shopping for shorts that don't try to fall down around my knees and a belt to hold the ones up that do.  Much success was found.  Even in the swimsuit area I was able to find a reasonably priced (hard to do in summer) swim set (shorts and top) which will obviously hopefully last a right long time for me.

I even struck cheap on G a different swimsuit so she now has two which can be switched in and out for cleaning and drying purposes.  Hers luckily fell in at less than $20 and she even liked the top and shorts.  She is rather modest in her swim choices so finding one is difficult and becoming more so with age.  I don't know why swim makers think everyone wishes to see pre-pubescent girls in all their poochy glory with bikinis and high legs on swimsuits but some of us really don't!  Cover them up.  A. it protects the skin from the sun and B. it looks better to not show all that fluff!  Yeah, I am old, what of it?

Sunday we hung out at my parents. I napped and it was good.  G swam with a cousin. No sunburns this time.  Sunday night, G and I watched Prince Caspian on Amazon which took a bit of an effort due to the lack of continual streaming so the 2 1/2 hour movie was more like 3 or so and it kept stopping at inconvenient times.  I think, not having seen the Voyage of the Dawn Trader, PC is my fave.  The stone table scene in the LW&W is difficult for me in movie and in book.  G fell asleep in the middle but woke up (after who knows how long) to see the end.  We both fell asleep after midnight.  That is what holidays are for right?

Monday we hung out at my parents.  Sensing a theme?  We hang out with my parents when work and school is out mostly.  To me it is just fun.  G, my mom and I went to visit a friend and her newish baby (almost 5 months old) then out to the hobby store where G spent $25 of her money on stuff to do.  Then to G's favorite restaurant with the child eating toilet (sensitive sensor don't ya know?).  We have had two very difficult back to back incidents with that toilet.  G can't stand the sound of flushing toilets and she has a fear of getting sucked in, anyway; this toilet does nothing to assuage her fears.

G is out of school one day this week and will be a 4th grader (where'd the time go?).  Last week she and the other 3rd graders took a field trip to the new school.  Each child was given a booklet created by a current 4th grade student.  The booklet G received is filled with so many grammar and spelling errors that the school should be ashamed to pass it out.  Really, this is a 4th grader's work?  G and I had a great time finding all the errors.  I haven't a problem if a child can't do the work or is a bit slow but don't advertise the fact that apparently teaching has failed at least this one student.  This was not their best idea.  I may start applying for private education grants over the summer.  I can't take out a loan for elementary school, but I don't have her standardized test scores to apply to schools and for grants, yet either. 

No kid left behind = big mistake and common core = even bigger mistake!!

Anyhoo, today feels like Monday which throws the rest of the week off for me.  Four day week though is great.  I am severly behind in laudry, UGH!  Ready for another long weekend, hello, Labor Day, anyone?  July 4 is on a Thursday so that messes up the whole long weekend thing.

This year, as soon as the PTO kicks in, G and I are going on a 4 day vacay, just the two of us.  As the time and details get closer I will mention more about it though probably not the actual dates or place until after we are back.  Something about internet safety or lack thereof will keep me from posting too much until after.  Let's just say that we are both very excited about it, even though it is a longer drive than I expected. 

Well, I suppose this catches the blog up to today.  I put Memorial Day observance on FB though I do not wish to neglect the blog. 

Thanks to all the men and women who have given all for our freedom.  Thanks to those who have served and are serving and to their families for their sacrifices throughout our history.  God Bless the USA!

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

Wish the vacay was here to visit us! Hope you have a wonderful time!