Saturday, June 01, 2013

Book Review: The Point by William E. Jefferson

I was given a copy of this book to review for free.  The opinions are 100% my own.

I read a suspenseful snippet of this book that truly did get my attention but then I received the book.  The book is very long.  The print on the pages are small with smallish margins on each page.  Lots of words that truly (I think) are not necessary. 

Basically, it is a story about a young couple searching for meaning? excitement? something after the woman was diagnosed with an illness.  They travel to an island that is more like a modern day monastery and abbey.  The "priests" on the island hold talks or readings of the scripture (yes the Bible) but do so in a scripted style with the visitors being part of the voices.  All of the leaders in the group have names like "Epic." 

The sisters on the island run and infirmary which comes into play later in the book.  There is one old crotchety fellow who lived on the island a long time with lots of bitterness of the soul.  There is a twist about the relationships of the couple and this character.  I think if a majority of the words were cut down the book would be enjoyable.  As it is, I honestly could not enjoy it.  It is not an easy weekend read first of all.  Second, most of the monastery readings seem pointless or maybe there seems to be too many points of main focus when some of the readings should be more ancillary.

It seems to me that too much of the book wants my main attention rather than being background noise that just plays on as the main song runs its course.  Too much is still too much.  Maybe it could have been a sequel type book.  I don't know, I would not recommend buying it.  I managed to skip enough to get the gist of the story without being trapped in the monotony of it.

And in all fairness, I may not be in the right frame of mind to read it.  Like I said, the snippet that got me interested and the 1st chapter held my attention well. It seems to be all the "readings" and too many other ideas being forced into the book to hold my attention.


No comments: