Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Holiday Away

G and I spent our Labor Day holiday out of town. We left Friday after work (I got 3 hours of vacay that day so left early, yippee) and arrived partly due to traffic problems around 11pm. We visited Bentonville, AR for a specific reason: the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. Wonderful collection of art but rather snooty employees in some areas. We saw some fantastic works of American art from the beginning of American history through to the 20th century. And the Angels and TomBoys exhibit that we missed in the big city was on display, so we were able to see it as well.

G was in a mood due to lack of sleep and just general not getting her way but we managed to get through the entire museum anyway. Of course we weren't able to truly comprehend everything, I think it would have been worth going over several days to see and process everything. The visit to this museum we made on Sunday after a breakfast/lunch of Chinese food. We slept really late on Sunday because we stayed up really late on Saturday night.

But let me back up a day. Saturday was the day we had originally planned to go to Crystal Bridges but due to excitement and breakfast being served only until 9:30 we ended up getting up too early. We were out of the motel room by 8:30am and the museum didn't open until 10. Plus motel coffee is terrible and I needed some coffee. After being given directions for the *bucks for my coffee fix, we looked up how close we were to Pea Ridge Military museum. This was the largest battle West of the Mississippi and a strategic loss for the South. The North was able to cut off communication and supply lines of the Confederates from East to West. So split decision to change plans lead us to visit Pea Ridge which is also the most intact battle fields of the Civil War.

I didn't realize how close we were going to be to that field so I was glad we found out. There were 10 stops on the driving tour and at stop #3 G told me she was going to run back to the car to which I replied, "Don't fall." I got back to the car and she said, "Mama, do you remember when you said to me 'don't fall'?" I said, "yes, did you fall?" Oh yes she fell and skint her knee, palms of her hands and dropped the camera she was carrying which then decided not to work for the rest of the day.

So we had 7 more stops we had to get through with her being in a bit of pain. The skinned knee and hands were not necessarily terrible but they were stinging. I ended up pouring half a bottle of cold water I had bought for me to drink on her skinned hands and knee. But it did seem to help her, so it was worth it.

For lunch we ate at a NY style pizzeria. We requested water for because we had just come back from the battle field and were hot and tired. We ordered way too much food and the water tasted dirty. When I requested bottled water, the waitress said they didn't carry it. I ended up getting G a lemonade and me a sprite. The waitress didn't charge us for it. We take for granted our very good water where we live until we go somewhere that has terrible water.

After lunch we headed into historic Bentonville to see the Walton 5 & 10 which is the first Walmart. There is a museum and oldfashioned products that would have been sold there. G wanted a bow and arrow set from there. She got a wood carved musket and wood carved yo-yo from the Pea Ridge gift shop. We also headed to the Walton old fashioned soda fountain shop but G only wanted water which after our lunch made this visit ironic. This place had on the menu triple filtered water. When I asked what it was the staff said it is just plain water that doesn't taste like dirt because of the triple filter. So they gave us two of the best tasting glasses of water we would have on this little trip. We sat at a table on the side walk and enjoyed our water.

When we got back to the motel room I bandaged G's knee and then after watching a bit of TV she wanted to swim so we headed to the pool. I chose to wait and swim Sunday morning after we got up for the day. She stayed in the pool for a bit then we headed to dinner which was at an Asian fusion place. Problem was the sauces were too sweet for G. It was really good I thought but her honey noodles were too sweet and not like Pei Wei, her favorite place. The teriyaki sauce for her rice was also too sweet. We had a fried cheese cake though that was excellent. My own salad was great. I had to order G some fried rice plus she did eat some edamame as well.

We came home on Monday and I was so very glad to be home I could hardly stand myself. G however wanted to stay for much longer. I believe a vacay option for her is to just check in for a week at a much nicer hotel and stay there not going anywhere but the pool. This motel though on the surface looked clean was not really tops. There were some rooms that seemed to have long term residents and one of them had a dog which had fleas which after I saw a flea on our counter (brought from his room by the maids) I couldn't stop itching. Also the bathroom floors were never swept or mopped while we were there which was evidenced by the deaf fly I had killed and dropped accidentally on the floor by the trash. So the longer I stayed there the more I realized a cheap hotel is just that, cheap and sometimes questionable. By the time we left it was really starting to get to me!

We did drive through some heavy rain and our lunch stop took longer than expected but we were home just before 5pm Monday. I am still exhausted. I do have pictures but they are at home on the laptop. I will try to remember to post some later. All in all it was a pretty good trip. G and I both had our meltdown moments. Me of being in an unfamiliar place with not much information and little sleep and G with wanting everything or wanting to do everything right then and not getting her way. G really does believe she is my equal and tells me often when I am not "minding" her. Sometimes I let it roll but sometimes I don't and the times I don't end badly. She was actually pretty awful in the museum, intentionally so.

But like I said, we had fun and it was good to get away and great to come home.

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

I started scratching when I read about the fleas, yuck! Glad you got a short vacay, and that you are all back home safe and sound!