Monday, November 11, 2013

Weekend Re-Cap and Ladybugs Are Creepy

My mother's house is being attacked by ladybugs trying to find a place to go for winter. One ladybug on a leaf or flower is cute and picture worthy. Millions of ladybugs are terrifying. You can hear them. It sounds like rain in a forest. The color around you becomes rust. They get everywhere and on you. For me, it was WAY TOO MUCH NATURE! I can still feel them crawling all over me and flying into me. Oh and they stink.
Sorry about the blurry picture, I took it on the phone. But this is a small sample of the bugs and this is inside the door of the car this morning as we are leaving for school.

I caught G's cold and am still coughing. I have reactive airway which means when I get a tickle from the cold and cough to clear it, it causes another tickle producing another cough to the point that I start to gag and can't catch my breath. Problem is when it happens I can't predict and usually need cold water to drink or put on my neck to cool me down to catch my breath. The coughs are violent coughs too but all of the coughs, though they sound deep, are caused by simple post nasal drip. They do not come but maybe once or twice a day. Again though I can't predict them.

I don't have a chest cold but a head cold. I had one of those coughing fits while driving my mother over the bridge to the big city Friday night. I thought we were going to wreck. I steady prayed that God would stop the coughs, the tears and gags so I could get us where we were going safely. We did arrive in one piece and had a good time.

My mother has a friend who is a very talented artist. She invites my mother to her art openings and I take her to them. I personally enjoy art openings/galleries anyway; whereas my dad, not so much. This person's website is here. She is very talented. Even her brother had a painting in the opening. It was nice with lots of incredible art work.

While driving back my mom opened up about her feelings with regard to her losing her memory. She said that she thinks she ought not be here any more and that she feels useless. She was unable to remember what happened when she broke her hip; specifically, how she did it. I told her with regard to that, she probably shouldn't be able to remember. It was quite traumatic for everyone involved. Really, there was a bit I couldn't remember. I forgot that I saw the ambulance drive away. I will have to tell G that I did and I only remembered after reading the post about it. Thank goodness for blogger and blogging the memories. I now believe that her non specifically diagnosed dementia began in that moment.

Funny, just like her mom's came to a head after she had a wreck. It seemed like her Alzheimer's came fast after that. Mom is very upset that she can't pick G up from school anymore. I pointed out that she could but she HAS TO REMEMBER NOT TO MAKE A 3rd ROW. That was why I got a call from the school. She currently feels like such a burden. Please pray for her. Pray that God will help her to remember that He has a purpose and reason for her to be with us still. Please pray that she will gain a sense of purpose as well.

It is hard watching her go through this and feeling helpless to make her understand how important she is! How desperately needed she is! I warned her that if she left us for any reason, our immediate family would fall apart. From my perspective I am not sure my dad would want or could hold us together. Plus her sisters need her.

Anyway, mom G and I shopped a little Saturday before taking G to a skating b-day party for a friend. G fell and busted her knee. She showed me later and boy is it a pretty bruise, all kinds of purple, blue, green and a bit black. She had swelling and everything. We put ice on it which helped some. G also told me she had fallen and hit her head on a chair, but didn't cry because people were watching. She said that if I had been there she would have cried, and I told her that was why I wasn't there. I knew, and I wanted her to have fun without me so I didn't hang around. Falling isn't fun, but if I was there she wouldn't have even tried to skate. She would have then been mad at me for not skating. She said despite falling, she would go again.

That was our weekend. Still too much to write. I did manage to get all the clothes washed which is amazing since we were barely home all weekend. G had some grandaddy time Friday night while mom and I were at the art opening. I had mom to myself time Friday and Saturday which was nice. Sunday after church and a short nap, mom, dad me and G played chicken foot dominoes. Took a minute to remember how to play but it was fun. Then G and I played uno and wheel of words (on her kindle fire). Nice weekend and now we are back at school and work.

Remember to thank a vet for your freedoms. Every time I see someone with the veterans ball cap or coat or uniform I stop them to thank them. At first they look at me like I am about to attack them, but then they smile and thank me back. Personally, I think it makes me feel better to thank them than it does for them to receive it. I may be wrong as we may both feel better. I also notice they will stand or sit up a little straighter. Makes my day every time!

1 comment:

Vivian M said...

I am so sorry you all have to go through this. I will be keeping your family in my prayers. Alzheimers affects the entire family.
I hope your cough is better and that Miss G's knee is healing! It sounds like you were very busy this weekend!