Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Well, We Have a Diagnosis

And it is really no surprise other than if the one doctor had made this referral last year we would be one year ahead.  My mom has been diagnosed in the early stages of Alzheimer's.  And no I did not cry yet.  I have already cried over her massive depressive episode, and over her inability to make a Christmas treat that she used to make, and I was planning to let the tears flow in the shower except for interruptions from G.

The doctor began her on ariset (spelling?) which my grandmother who had the same thing could not take.  They will monitor her for rise in liver numbers and other issues with regard to the medicine.  Oh and she didn't volunteer the info to me, I had to ask. 

I don't think my dad was surprised.  I am not sure what he is planning either.  They live on 2 1/2 acres of land, and I really wonder if  he may be thinking of  selling it and moving. Now might be the best time to do so while mom has some functioning memory left or it might be a terrible mistake and cause her to go into a life threatening depression.  A person can get really attached to a home particularly one that has been lived in for almost 40 years. 

Of course we don't know how quickly this will progress into an unmanageable phase.  We also don't know what may or may not come about in the area of medicine.  The only thing we do know is that God holds her in the palm of His hands, He has claimed her for His own and will see her through.  I of course am not ready to not have a mama and am not sure that I will ever be. 

Okay, so now the tight throat and tears are threatening to flow!

3 comments:

Steph B said...

I am so very sorry.

Briana's Mom said...

I'm so, so very sorry. I watched my grandmother go through this as well. Praying for you and your whole family.

Vivian M said...

Sending you a huge hug from afar, and keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.