Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Snow Storm 2014- February 3



Mainly, it hit only the tree tops, very little on the ground.  One problem though was that what ice was on the roads happened to be black ice in unpredictable spots that caused cars to drive into the ditches.  But this picture is at my mother's house, in her front yard.  She had lots of broken limbs around the yard.  

Sunday night, G and I had gone to bed early to read the 4th Harry Potter book.  At 7ish the power went off.  The power company called to say 69 homes were affected and it would be about 11:30pm before it all came back on.  Okay, no problem, we grabbed flashlights, more blankets, more clothes and settled in.  We could hear the eery sound of branches breaking and ice falling while we read.

At 8:30 power company called back to say it would be 11am before power was restored and over 1000 people were affected.  Well, at that point school had not been called so I had to work under the assumption G would be going to school.  I called my dad and let him know were would be there by 9 to spend the night.  If we had to go to school and work and I had no way to fix breakfast or heat water then we needed to be where there was power.  One reason a gas stove/oven is a good thing: electric power outages.  Maybe I need a camping stove, but the tanks would probably always be empty. 

So roughly about 9 pm we showed up already ready for bed and with Monday's outfits ready to go.  At 5:45 am Monday, school called to tell us it was cancelled due to un-passable roads.  You see, the ice brought trees down in the roads as well as powerlines which made my getting to work from my parent's house an impossibility.

Of course, my dad was already up but when school was cancelled G easily and eagerly got out of bed (never in a million years is she ever that eager to get up on a school day).  The call even woke up my mom because I couldn't locate my phone quick enough.   So now everyone is up by 6am.  I have my coffee started and get ready for work. 

Initially I was going to stay home but then dad guilt tripped me so I tried to go.  I had to use my mother's make up because I totally didn't pack any (difficult to pack with flashlights).  And my mother and I do not have the same skin color so it made me look like the tanning addict mom. G agreed with me that it was awful. 

Anyway, I took off to work knowing I would be late but at least there when a red truck met me with lights flashing.  I thought it was fire dept making rounds,but it was just a kind stranger telling me I couldn't get on the interstate from there, would have to go up a couple of miles to get to it.  He also mentioned that between me and that entrance two cars had already gone in the ditch due to black ice. 

I also had an unknown 3rd way to go, unknown in that I didn't know if it would be blocked by the numerous trees in the road or if there would also be black ice too.  I am also not as familiar with those back country roads to try them out in inclement weather.  So I just turned around and told my parents I tried, but it wasn't going to happen.  Thankfully, I have PTO with this job so I was able to stay home yesterday.

I watched G play the Wii all day except for a 2 hour nap I took after lunch.  I also watched my mom get lunch ready at 10:30am and basically expect everyone to eat.  My dad obliged, I held G off (she wasn't hungry), and I ate later as well.  I also kept my mom from making supper at 3:30pm.  It was a bit frustrating.  I also answered my mother's question about school being cancelled for today which she continually repeated a 1000 times.  So yea, that memory thing...

Dad cut up a large limb that came down between the satellite dish and the corner of the house barely scrapping the outside of the wall.  The distance between the dish and the house was roughly 6 ft.  But now they have more firewood now for the fireplace which is a good thing especially since we have 6 more weeks of predicted winter.

2 comments:

Ohilda said...

Incredible!!! So much for that story about global warming, eh? :)

Ohilda said...

Incredible!!! So much for that story about global warming, eh? :)