Wednesday, March 12, 2014

We're Just in it for the Candy

Said by G and her best friend, aka "bestie".  The background is 9-10 year old drama.  A girl and boy in G's class have been "dating" as much as a 9 and 10 year old can do.  All through the Christmas etc, G watched this boy give the girl stuff like candy grams, stuff from bookstore and Christmas gifts.  So the other day G and this boy were paired in a class project when he told G that his girlfriend didn't like him anymore and that he now like G. 

So I asked G if she told him she was too young to have a boyfriend; she just giggled and said, "no."  She said she didn't tell him she liked him back either.  What she told me was, "I hope he buys me stuff." 

To which I replied, "The purpose of dating (of course not at this age) is to find a suitable mate for marriage.  Not so 'he will buy me stuff.'"

Yesterday, G explained to me how she was coaching her bestie on how to lure a boyfriend so he will buy her stuff too then G said the infamous words, "We're just in it for the candy."  Yes, really.

I am too old for this, and she is much too young!!  Yes, I know crushes are just that, crushes and it (hopefully) is very innocent.  Somehow though the whole liking G info got to the ex-girlfriend who told G not to "date" him as he isn't a very good boyfriend.  My 1st question is how many boyfriends has this girl had to measure him by and 2nd was it a friendly warning or a jealous one?  I think G had told her bestie that she really didn't like him anyway. 

This will pass probably as soon as spring break approaches.  Interesting how some children are mature enough to understand liking a person for a boy/girlfriend thing and some are just no.  G and her bestie fall into the latter as do a majority of the boys in her class and for that I am very grateful.

2 comments:

Vivian M said...

Oy. Kerri has had platonic "boyfriends" since she was 2. The last one tried to kiss her, and she hit him. She has sworn off boys, because now they are all gross. Luckily, she never "used" any of them. Not looking forward to the teenage drama years!

Briana's Mom said...

Briana has a little crush this year - but it isn't anything big. And she thinks kissing is gross right now. Ha! I'm sure that will change in time, but I am enjoying her not caring about it right now!