Saturday, July 25, 2015

10 Years Later

July 25, 2005


July 25, 2005

July 26, 2005


Here is an archive of the two year update I did by copying the actual trip to the blog. If one was interested one could revisit how the trip went down.

Ten years went by fast.  G is already planning her driving and facing death of grandparents and moving out (nah not really).  She doesn't think these ten years went by fast.  For her the years have drug on and on.  For me I can't believe just how quick a blink is.  I wish to re-live some of the good days and re-do some of the not so good ones.  I am trying to focus on more yeses and less nos.

G is a bright child that likes to change previously stated agreements through tough negotiations.  She cheered the other day that she understood reverse psychology but now I can't remember what advantage she thinks she won.  Sometimes she drives me crazy.  Most days I see the wonder she truly is.

She still won't sleep by herself as she has decided we have a ghost in our home.  I guess I shouldn't have told her that my grandmother died in this house.  She constantly checks behind her door before going in her room and I asked her what she would do if something or someone were really back there.  She said she would run.

I still read to her most every night.  We finished Helen Keller's autobiography and have started Ann of Green Gables.  This is my treat to read to her not just for her.  Obviously she reads on her own but I get to read books to her that I am also interested in and to keep that connection.

I have tried to be intentional on making memories doing things G enjoys.  Though to confess, I discovered I have a dislike for board games.  I do like some of the games to play with her on the phone like chain reaction and life.  She prefers the board games.  I prefer making memories on trips or holiday traditions or painting the house or walking in the flooded yard or running together.  She prefers I watch her play minecraft or play board games or take her shopping for tennis shoes.

She still would prefer to stay up late so on Fridays we watch movies way past bedtime.  Sometimes she falls to sleep before it is over.  Sometimes I do.  During the week we battle over all the conversations that have to be discussed as I am desperately trying to go to sleep.  She is extremely chatty at bedtime.  Seems to come alive, so to speak.  Most people have never heard her utter a word.

She wins at Bible trivia in Sunday School which makes me proud since I was raised as a Southern Baptist.  I know God's Word will not return to Him void.  He will use this in her life at some point I am sure.

We still battle about clothes, not so much what she wears (well Sunday clothes are a battle) but how the clothes feel on her.  GAH! the sensitivity! And sadly I indulge because I remember having similar sensitivities as a child and as an adult.  As a child I could do nothing about it but I wear what I like as an adult.

We are still working on learning how to wash hair and face correctly.  I suppose this will be a battle until it matters to her.  Now she does it because I tell her to.  I am not surprised since she is just 11.

10 years as a family just doesn't seem like very long.  So much has happened with us and around us.  Exciting time to be alive really.  I am not looking forward to the next 10 years because it just makes everything closer to her being grown.  Of course then there are days that I wish that had already happened, heh.  just kidding, sort of...

G doesn't ever read the blog but maybe one day a long time from now, she might so...

G, you are the best thing, the most challenging thing, the makes-dreams-come-true thing to ever happen to me and our family.  We would not be complete without you.  You make this world a better place by just being you!!  Whatever path you chose in life, make sure you choose Jesus and make sure you are there in Heaven one day.

I love you best!

Love,
Mama

3 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

Wow - 10 years!! Happy Family Day! Time certainly does fly!

I am not a fan of board games either. And Briana hates the feel of denim on her legs - she really dislikes jeans. I manage to get her to wear jeggings sometimes.

We are coming up on 8 years as a family. I feel like it went by in a blink of an eye.

Vicki said...

Sniff. Such a sweet post!
Happy 10 years.

Vivian M said...

Happy 10 wonderful and amazing years together!!! As I was reading your post, I was amazed at how many similarities the girls have. It has been such a blessing to watch them grow and flourish...sending you both love across the miles!