Friday, February 19, 2016

"She Doesn't Know Who I Am," my dad

Last night my mom called me.  I was at the end of our BSF class.  I stepped out as she told me my dad wasn't home.  I suggested that he was at a meeting, though in honesty I doubted it for I know he wouldn't leave her alone.  I asked if his car was home and walked her through looking for it in the garage.  She said it was there, so I told her to check the bathroom in the back of the house.  I asked her how she called me, and she told me she looked my number up in the phone book.

Then I put her on speaker and texted my dad to ask where he was. He replied at home.  I texted back that mom was looking for him.

He texted back "She doesn't know who I am."

I asked mom if she was alone or if there was someone with her.  She said she was alone.  I said, "Is there a man with you?"

She said that there was.  I said, "That is Daddy."

She said, "No it's not."

I said, "Yes it is. He is just old."

She said, "Why did he do that about that?"

I said, "What did he do? Get old?"  She meant the meeting to which she thought he had gone.

Dad texted me later that he called me for her and that she had been confused all day.  I confess that though I expected at some point this type call would come, I did cry.  It is a milestone in the disease of another piece lost.  This knowing my dad or not knowing him will come and go and eventually be gone forever.  From now on I will handle this call with less sorrowful emotion and more laughter, not at her but to ease tensions.  No, I didn't cry on the phone, I waited until I felt she was good with the answer and off the phone.

I told dad this morning to call me if they need me.  G is staying out there today while I work.  G stayed with me at work Wednesday and Thursday.  I encouraged G to continue to talk to her to help keep her mind grounded as it were in the now not the past.

I will be expecting more calls like this because she is truly going down hill faster than we would like.  My dad is handling it with grace and patience and love for the wife of his youth, which is the marriage God intended.  My dad is truly being tested in this fiery trial, but I know my God will see them both through.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Your post made me tear up. I'm praying for your dad, mom, and for you and G. I'm sure this is hard for everyone.

Briana's Mom said...

This post just broke my heart. I am so sorry you are all going through this. I watched my grandmother go through this, but I feel like your mom's disease is progressing a bit faster that my grandma's did. Your dad sounds like a wonderful and strong man. I'll be praying for all of you.